This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is opening a new route between New York JFK and Guayaquil, Ecuador, one that’s going to be possible thanks to its newest aircraft, the Airbus A321neo. The route will open in December this year. Currently, JetBlue flies to Guayaquil from Fort Lauderdale, but its current airplanes do not have the range to make it there from JFK.
Flights from New York (JFK) to Guayaquil (GYE) are pending government approval, however, upon receiving approval, flights will begin on December 5th, 2019. A single daily round-trip flight will be offered. Flight B6 1769 from New York to Guayaquil will depart at 2:00 PM and arrive at 9:04 PM. The return flight will be a red-eye departing at 10:55 PM and arriving the next day at 5:13 AM. Flights between New York and Guayaquil are not yet available for purchase. Tickets will go on sale “soon”, according to JetBlue, with details to be made available in at a later date.
The airline expects the new aircraft to enter into service this summer.
“The introduction of the A321neo to our fleet opens up a world of new possibilities as we think about the future of our growing network, building out our focus cities, and offering new and unique nonstop routes to our customers,” Andrea Lusso, director of route planning at JetBlue, said. This is not, however, the A321neo LR version that will launch JetBlue’s flights to London in 2021. The LR will have even longer range than the standard neo variant.
While passengers will notice the quieter cabin and larger overhead bins, the aircraft is quite similar to JetBlue’s fleet of Airbus A321s already in service. The major difference is with the engines; “neo” stands for “new engine option.” With the first-generation A321 approaching 30 years since its maiden flight, Airbus introduced a more fuel-efficient model in 2016 with new engines, which burn 20 percent less fuel per seat. That gives the plane longer range. The LR version, with additional fuel tanks, enables it to comfortably cross the Atlantic.
Passengers will aso experience JetBlue’s updated in-flight product. The updated product will feature JetBlue’s newly re-designed seats, updated cabin branding, new in-flight entertainment, faster satellite-based Wi-Fi, and mood lighting. Most Airbus A321neos will feature JetBlue’s EvenMoreSpace and core economy class product. According to the airline, the Airbus A321neos to be delivered this year will not feature JetBlue’s Mint cabin, the business-class product which debuted on the first generation Airbus A321s in 2013.
Featured image of a current JetBlue Airbus A321, similar to the A321neo, by Alberto Riva/TPG
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees