JetBlue Will Start Flights from JFK to Ecuador, With the New A321neo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is opening a new route between New York JFK and Guayaquil, Ecuador, one that’s going to be possible thanks to its newest aircraft, the Airbus A321neo. The route will open in December this year. Currently, JetBlue flies to Guayaquil from Fort Lauderdale, but its current airplanes do not have the range to make it there from JFK.
Flights from New York (JFK) to Guayaquil (GYE) are pending government approval, however, upon receiving approval, flights will begin on December 5th, 2019. A single daily round-trip flight will be offered. Flight B6 1769 from New York to Guayaquil will depart at 2:00 PM and arrive at 9:04 PM. The return flight will be a red-eye departing at 10:55 PM and arriving the next day at 5:13 AM. Flights between New York and Guayaquil are not yet available for purchase. Tickets will go on sale “soon”, according to JetBlue, with details to be made available in at a later date.
The airline expects the new aircraft to enter into service this summer.
“The introduction of the A321neo to our fleet opens up a world of new possibilities as we think about the future of our growing network, building out our focus cities, and offering new and unique nonstop routes to our customers,” Andrea Lusso, director of route planning at JetBlue, said. This is not, however, the A321neo LR version that will launch JetBlue’s flights to London in 2021. The LR will have even longer range than the standard neo variant.
While passengers will notice the quieter cabin and larger overhead bins, the aircraft is quite similar to JetBlue’s fleet of Airbus A321s already in service. The major difference is with the engines; “neo” stands for “new engine option.” With the first-generation A321 approaching 30 years since its maiden flight, Airbus introduced a more fuel-efficient model in 2016 with new engines, which burn 20 percent less fuel per seat. That gives the plane longer range. The LR version, with additional fuel tanks, enables it to comfortably cross the Atlantic.
Passengers will aso experience JetBlue’s updated in-flight product. The updated product will feature JetBlue’s newly re-designed seats, updated cabin branding, new in-flight entertainment, faster satellite-based Wi-Fi, and mood lighting. Most Airbus A321neos will feature JetBlue’s EvenMoreSpace and core economy class product. According to the airline, the Airbus A321neos to be delivered this year will not feature JetBlue’s Mint cabin, the business-class product which debuted on the first generation Airbus A321s in 2013.
Featured image of a current JetBlue Airbus A321, similar to the A321neo, by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees