It’s now official: Atlanta is the world’s busiest airport. Again…
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s official: The world’s busiest airport is in Atlanta.
More than 107 million passengers flew through Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International in 2018, helping the airport claim the “world’s busiest” title for the 22nd consecutive year.
Atlanta outpaced No. 2 Beijing (PEK), which was the only other airport to see more than 100 million passengers, according to the count from Airports Council International (ACI).
The ACI’s numbers for busiest airports were first reported in March, though those figures were “preliminary.” ACI confirmed its final numbers on Tuesday, cementing Atlanta’s spot at the top in its World Airport Traffic Report.
The preliminary numbers almost always hold. That was true at the top this year, though revisions between the preliminary and final numbers did lead to one change. Istanbul (IST) finished at No. 16 while Seoul Incheon (ICN) finished No. 17, reversing their positions from the preliminary March numbers.
Overall, the top three spots remained unchanged from a year ago, with Dubai (DXB) third behind Atlanta and Beijing. Los Angeles (LAX) jumped past Tokyo Haneda (HND) for the only shake-up in the top five.
The full list of the world’s 20 busiest airports is below.
1. Atlanta (ATL)
2018 passenger count: 107.4 million, up 3.3%
2017 rank: 1
2. Beijing (PEK)
2018 passenger count: 101 million, up 5.4%
2017 rank: 2
3. Dubai, United Arab Emirates (DXB)
2018 passenger count: 89.1 million, up 1%
2017 rank: 3
4. Los Angeles (LAX)
2018 passenger count: 87.5 million, up 3.5%
2017 rank: 5
5. Tokyo Haneda (HND)
2018 passenger count: 86.9 million, up 4.4%
2017 rank: 4
6. Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
2018 passenger count: 83.2 million, up 4.3%
2017 rank: 6
7. London Heathrow (LHR)
2018 passenger count: 80.1 million, up 2.7%
2017 rank: 7
8. Hong Kong (HKG)
2018 passenger count: 74.5 million, up 2.6%
2017 rank: 8
9. Shanghai (PVG)
2018 passenger count: 74 million, up 5.7%
2017 rank: 9
10. Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
2018 passenger count: 72.2 million, up 4%
2017 rank: 10
11. Amsterdam (AMS)
2018 passenger count: 71.1 million, up 3.7%
2017 rank: 11
12. New Delhi (DEL)
2018 passenger count: 69.9 million, up 10.2%
2017 rank: 16
13. Guangzhou, China (CAN)
2018 passenger count: 69.7 million, up 5.9%
2017 rank: 13
14. Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
2018 passenger count: 69.5 million, up 7.8%
2017 rank: 14
15. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
2018 passenger count: 69.1 million, up 3%
2017 rank: 12
16. Istanbul, Turkey (IST)
2018 passenger count: 68.36 million, up 6.6%
2017 rank: 15
17. Seoul Incheon, South Korea (ICN)
2018 passenger count: 68.35 million, up 10%
2017 rank: 19
18. Jakarta, Indonesia (CGK)
2018 passenger count: 65.7 million, up 4.2%
2017 rank: 17
19. Singapore (SIN)
2018 passenger count: 65.6 million, up 5.5%
2017 rank: 18
20. Denver (DEN)
2018 passenger count: 64.5 million, up 5.1%
2017 rank: 20
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees