Visit More Than 1,100 Usually Off-Limits Sites in Italy This Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Missed Italy’s Museum Week this month? You’re in luck. More than 1,100 sites all over the country will be free and open to the public on March 23 and 24.
The 26th annual edition of Giornate FAI di Primavera (FAI Spring Days) is a project of the Fondo Ambiente Italiano (FAI), an organization founded in 1975 that preserves and protects historic landmarks, gardens, parks, villas and castles throughout Italy. According to Condé Nast Traveler, only 30 of the sites participating in FAI Spring Days are actually owned by FAI, while more than 1,000 are privately owned buildings normally off-limits to the public.
FAI runs some of the country’s most incredible sites, including Villa Necchi Campiglio — the midcentury home in Milan where director Luca Guadagnino filmed “I Am Love” — and the historic Villa del Balbianello on Lake Como, where scenes from “James Bond: Casino Royale” were filmed.
Both will be open this weekend, but reservations are required at Villa Necchi Campiglio and only the gardens of Villa del Balbianello will be free to the public. Access to the interiors will be restricted to FAI members, but you can sign up on the spot.
A membership costs €39 (about $44) for adults and is valid for one year. In addition to granting access to FAI’s 36 sites in Italy, a membership also includes access to sites run by the National Trust of England and Wales, the National Trust for Jersey, the National Trust for Scotland and the National Trust for Australia. Members also get discounts at 1,500 cultural sites across Italy, including Florence’s Palazzo Strozzi and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice.
Many sites participating in FAI Spring Days are asking for suggested donations of around €5 (nearly $6), which will go toward maintenance and preservation.
Normally, sites like Villa Necchi Campiglio have limited hours and might require visitors to go on a guided tour, rather than wandering around freely, as you would in a museum.
For FAI Spring Days, some 40,000 volunteers will be on hand to help answer questions and 100 foreign guides will offer tours in English, Hindi, Arabic and other languages.
If you can’t hop on a last-minute flight this weekend, consider planning a trip to Italy this fall for FAI Autumn Days. The dates have not yet been announced, but will likely be in either September or October.
Featured photo of Villa del Balbianello courtesy of FAI.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees