Many of Italy’s Most Famous Attractions Will Be Free for a Week in March
Italy’s Minister of Culture, Alberto Bonisoli, has declared March 5 to 10, “La Settimana dei Musei” (i.e. Museum Week), during which access to all of Italy’s state museums, monuments and archeological sites will be complimentary. That includes Rome’s Galleria Borghese and Colosseum (typically €18 and €12, respectively); the Galleria degli Uffizi and Boboli Gardens in Florence (during the high season — March 1 through Oct. 31 — €20 and €10, respectively); and the Galleria dell’Accademia in Venice, which is home to works by Venetian Renaissance masters such as Giorgione and Paolo Veronese, and usually costs €12, among others.
Some sites are celebrating with special tours, like free guided visits of the crypts in Rome’s Appia Antica archeological park. Others, like Venice’s National Archeological Museum, require advance reservations.
The initiative is, in part, a bid to relieve some of the pressure from Italy’s “free museum Sundays” that brought oppressively long lines to museums for free admission on the first Sunday of every month. Instead, Italy’s state museums will now have 20 days with free admission per year, including the six days that make up Museum Week, plus six free Sundays between October and March and another eight days that the institutions can choose at their discretion. The new decree was signed on January 9 and comes into effect today.
“If we find the resources, I intend to try to exceed the number of 20 days of free entry,” Bonisoli told La Repubblica, adding that surveys on visitor satisfaction conducted indicated that 54% of museum-goers would rather go during the week, while only 15% preferred to go on Sundays, when admission was free.
Indeed, lines for Italy’s most famous museums and monuments — including the Colosseum and the Uffizzi Galleries — are notoriously long during the high season, so purchasing tickets in advance is recommended if you’re visiting outside of Museum Week, regardless of whether you plan to visit during the week or on a weekend.
Families traveling with kids should keep in mind that entry to state museums is always free for anyone under 18 years old. And for visitors between the ages of 18 and 25, a new reduced entry fee costs just €2.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees