Try this if you can’t find the Hyatt award you want
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
World of Hyatt made a bunch of changes in 2020 to improve its program. It unveiled a new-and-improved check-in experience for reservations at a select number of properties and also introduced Pay My Way.
Pay My Way lets you book one reservation for multiple nights and pay — in a single transaction — using various methods for each night at checkout. This is useful for booking longer stays where some nights don’t show award availability, others are cheaper to book with cash or when you want to use multiple free-night certificates on a single reservation. Previously, you could only do this by calling the Global Contact Center or making a series of separate bookings online or in the app.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How does Pay My Way work?
To look at how Pay My Way works, let’s look at an example. Using Pay My Way, you could book a stay at the Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago and pay with a reward night certificate for one night, points for another and cash for the remainder. This means you’ll no longer have to string together a series of reservations at the same property if you’d prefer paying for each night using cash, points, a combination of the two or a reward night certificate from the World of Hyatt Credit Card.
Here’s how to use the Pay My Way feature:
Log into your World of Hyatt account and search for a hotel to book for two or more nights. Don’t check the “Use Points” box before searching. After searching, click on “Use Pay My Way” under the orange “Book Now” button.
Note that this option won’t appear on every rate type (more on that below), but the most popular ones should have it.
Review how you’d like to pay for each night of the stay. You’ll see the options are the Member Rate in cash, points and Points + Cash in the example below. However, if you have any awards — such as a Category 1–4 reward night certificate — it will also be listed here as an option. Once you’ve decided how you’ll pay, click on “Select This Combination.”
The booking process will then confirm your points balance and how you’ll pay for each night of your stay.
Boosting your World of Hyatt balance
The Pay My Way feature can come in handy when you don’t have enough points to cover your entire stay. However, there are also lots of ways to earn World of Hyatt points easily. For instance, you can currently earn up to 60,000 points by picking up the World of Hyatt Credit Card. You’ll earn 30,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 more Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 in the first six months of account opening
Alternatively, you can transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards. If you have a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you could transfer your points to World of Hyatt at a 1:1 ratio. Based on our experiences, these transfers should process instantly.
This is a handy feature that all World of Hyatt members can now use. However, not all rates and room types are eligible.
Specifically, my searches showed that standard, member, AAA and senior rates are eligible for Pay My Way. But, I found several other rates — including Work from Hyatt, Bed & Breakfast and corporate rates — that aren’t eligible currently.
And, I wasn’t able to book elevated room types or suites using Pay My Way, even though it’s now possible to book Hyatt suites with points online. So, this feature’s usefulness will vary depending on what type of rates and rooms you want to book.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski and Katie Genter.
Featured image by Katie Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 More Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 spent
- Get 1 free night each year after your Cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort
- Enjoy complimentary World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open
- Receive 5 tier qualifying night credits towards status after account opening, and each year after that for as long as your account is open
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 in a calendar year
- Earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card
- Earn up to 9 points total for Hyatt stays – 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 from Hyatt as a World of Hyatt member
- Earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships