You can now book Hyatt suites with points online and save big
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
One of those programs is the World of Hyatt. While the hotel chain is delaying the implementation of peak and off-peak pricing and planned award category changes (except for five properties), it is speeding up some back-end upgrades.
The World of Hyatt program is now allowing members to use points to book or upgrade to suites online. As first reported by US Credit Card Guide, this new feature is available via Hyatt’s website and mobile app and works for both standard and premium suites.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Booking Hyatt suites with points online
Being able to book Hyatt suites with points online is a big improvement for members. While the ability to book suites with points isn’t new, you previously needed to call World of Hyatt customer service or message the concierge on Twitter to do so.
You can book standard and premium suites according to the following award chart using free night awards or Points + Cash awards (with award values based on TPG’s valuations):
|hotel category||Standard suite points per night
||Standard suite Points + Cash
||Premium suite points per night
||Premium suite Points + Cash|
|1||8,000 ($136)||4,000 ($68) + cash||10,000 ($170)||5,000 ($85) + cash|
|2||13,000 ($221)||6,500 ($111) + cash||16,000 ($272)||8,000 ($136) + cash|
|3||20,000 ($340)||10,000 ($170) + cash||24,000 ($408)||12,000 ($204) + cash|
|4||24,000 ($408)||12,000 ($204) + cash||30,000 ($510)||15,000 ($255) + cash|
|5||32,000 ($544)||16,000 ($272) + cash||40,000 ($680)||20,000 ($340) + cash|
|6||40,000 ($680)||20,000 ($340) + cash||50,000 ($850)||25,000 ($425) + cash|
|7||48,000 ($816)||24,000 ($408) + cash||60,000 ($1,020)||30,000 ($510) + cash|
If you find a cheap paid night and would rather redeem points for a confirmed room upgrade, you can do so at the following rates:
- Regency Club or Grand Club upgrade: 3,000 points per night
- Standard suite upgrade: 6,000 points per night
- Premium suite upgrade: 9,000 points per night
Depending on the property and availability, you may be able to redeem your points for a presidential suite and get outsized value out of your points. On a sample search, I found a presidential suite available at the Hyatt Regency Orlando for 24,000 points for a random night in February. The cash rate for members is a whopping $11,671 (including taxes and fees), yielding an astonishing value of 48.63 cents per point, nearly 29 times TPG’s most recent valuations.
Bear in mind that booking these suites could be even more rewarding through October, as the World of Hyatt program is currently offering discounts of 15% or 25% for awards through Oct. 8, 2020. Note that registration is required, but if you have the World of Hyatt Credit Card in your wallet, you’ll enjoy even better award rates for stays through the next couple of months.
And of course, remember that just because you can book these awards doesn’t mean that they will always be available. If you’re looking to snag a suite with your points and don’t see availability online, you can always call World of Hyatt customer service at 1-800-544-9288 to inquire. However, our initial tests indicate that inventory over the phone matches the website and app.
It’s great to see a new feature added to the booking process with the World of Hyatt program. It’s especially valuable for booking stays at hotels that rarely have standard room award available or for travelers looking for more space on their next getaway. However, with a more streamlined process for booking suites online, it is possible that availability and complimentary upgrades for Globalist elite members will become harder to come by going forward.
Keep in mind that nearly all new Hyatt reservations – including both paid and award stays – with arrival dates through July 31, 2021 can be changed or canceled for no charge up to 24 hours before arrival. Hyatt is also extending elite status and expiration of rewards, such as upgrade certificates and free night awards (including those from the World of Hyatt Credit Card).
Related: The best hotel credit cards of 2020
Featured image courtesy of the Hyatt Regency Chicago.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees