Hilton sees record bookings in line with travel surge that could make 2021 bigger than 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that travel is exploding this year, with pent-up demand driving a flurry of bookings. In fact, 2021 could see even higher levels of travel than 2019 did at its peak.
In an interview with CNBC, Hilton CEO Christopher Nassetta said the chain’s hotels throughout the U.S. were at nearly 93% occupancy over Memorial Day weekend — the highest point since the start of the pandemic.
Get the latest travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
“Our bookings for this summer, at this point, are higher than we saw in 2019 at the peak,” Nassetta said. “People are getting out. They are feeling safer as vaccination rates go up, and it should be a really good summer for travel.”
Nassetta’s report is good news, but it’s hardly surprising, given other travel trends we’ve noticed this year. So far, we’ve seen surges in Hawaii and Alaska bookings and increasing demand for camping and visits to national parks.
Plus, Italy, Greece and many other countries are open to Americans, and major cities like Las Vegas have also fully reopened, with Sin City seeing so many visitors that traffic was backed up for 26 miles last weekend.
Airlines are also seeing a dramatic upswing in booking numbers, allowing them to inch closer to breaking even after more than a year of burning through as much as $100 million in cash per day to keep fleets operational while weathering greatly reduced capacity.
That, of course, ties into trends seen by credit card companies, such as Amex, which said spending was at pre-pandemic levels earlier this year, with travel spiking 50% in mid-May.
But there are still hiccups to be worked out. Staffing and rental car shortages, along with the lack of standardized international travel health requirements, are leading to long waits at some airports, and testing snags have also caused problems for some travelers.
If you have plans to stay at a Hilton property this summer, be sure to learn everything there is to know about the Hilton Honors program so you can maximize your points-earning potential. The brand is currently running a “More Nights, More Points” promotion where you can earn double points on stays of one or two nights and three times the bonus points on stays of three nights or longer. The promotion runs through Sept. 6, 2021.
The brand has extended the deadline for all expiring points through Dec. 31, 2021, giving you plenty of time to cash in any you have saved. Hilton also recently announced that it would extend the deadline for expiring free-night certificates through January 2022.
Featured photo by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.