Amex launches new flexible payment option for flights as travel bookings surge by 50%
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As we approach summer, travel is on the mend.
With a large portion of the U.S. fully vaccinated, the historically busy travel season will be roaring back to life. Airlines have responded by pouring additional capacity to leisure-focused destinations, all the way from the sun-soaked beaches of Florida to iceberg-fringed shores of Alaska.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
On the credit card front, spending is also seeing a major resurgence.
In its fourth-quarter earnings call, American Express said its goods and services spending — the vast majority of spend on the Amex network — was up 11% versus the first quarter of 2019. That’s particularly notable since the increase is compared to a pre-pandemic period, showing a signal of pent-up consumer demand as cardholders swipe in earnest.
And travel is a huge part of the equation. In fact, Amex says that Amex Travel bookings jumped by 50% in the first quarter of 2021 compared with the fourth quarter of 2020.
To provide cardholders with further flexibility when paying for travel, Amex consumer cardholders in the U.S. will now be able to use the “Plan It” feature at checkout for flight purchases on Amex Travel.
“Plan It” will be directly integrated into the checkout experience for the first time, offering up to three distinct plans to pay for any flight purchase of $100 or more.
While you won’t pay any interest, there is a fixed monthly fee, so you’ll know exactly how much you owe each month. You can combine up to 10 eligible purchases into a plan, and you can have up to 10 plans running at a given time.
At checkout, my account is showing a no-fee “Plan It” option through May 31, 2021 for all flight bookings.
Amex says that “Plan It” for hotel bookings will be launched later this year.
For those that pay everything in full — which is the first rule in TPG’s 10 commandments of credit card rewards — you won’t be impacted by this move. However, the additional flexibility will be a nice-to-have perk for some cardholders as they prepare for some of their first travels since the onset of the pandemic.
According to Amex Trendex data, 44% of U.S. consumers said that a buy now, pay later offering on a credit card would be of interest to them. That number jumped to 62% for all millennial-aged cardholders.
The results are not surprising: In recent years, Amex has been actively extending its flexible payment features, including “Pay It” and “Plan It.” This integration with Amex Travel will give cardholders more options as they hit the road, take to the skies and go everywhere in between once again.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.