This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re going on vacation — or traveling for work — this July, Hilton is making a compelling case for your business. As if double points weren’t good enough, Hilton is back with an offer for stays in July: triple points for Hilton Honors American Express cardholders.
By combining this triple points promotion with elite status bonuses and credit card earnings, you can score up to 54 Hilton points per dollar spent on stays in July:
- 10 base points
- 20 bonus points through the triple-point promotion
- 10 bonus points for Diamond elite members
- 14 points at Hilton properties using the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
At current TPG valuations, 54 Hilton points is equivalent to 32.4 cents, meaning this promotion allows cardholders to earn up to 32.4% back from the amount you spend. That’s a pretty amazing return.
Here’s how to maximize your earnings on this promotion:
1. Register for Hilton’s Double Points promotion. Hilton is in the midst of its latest version of the Double Points promotion for stays from May 1 to August 31, 2018. If you haven’t already signed up, it’s not too late to register to start earning double points for all Hilton stays now through the end of August.
2. Get a qualifying credit card. If you don’t have one already, sign up for one of the following credit cards that qualifies for the 3x points promotion:
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card: 100,000-point welcome bonus
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card: 100,000-point welcome bonus
- Hilton Honors American Express Business Card: 125,000-point welcome bonus
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: 75,000-point welcome bonus
Per the terms and conditions of Hilton’s promotion, “Hilton Honors American Express Card Members who enroll in the Double Points Promotion will be automatically enrolled in the Triple Points Promotion.” So, there’s no need to register for this enhanced promotion.
3. Get elite status. This is usually easier said than done, but elite status is a perk of each of this promotion’s qualifying credit cards:
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card: Hilton Honors Diamond status
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card: Hilton Honors Gold status
- Hilton Honors American Express Business Card: Hilton Honors Gold status
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: Hilton Honors Silver status
When maximized, here are the earnings by card:
- Aspire Card: 54 points per dollar spent (10 base + 20 triple points bonus + 14 credit card spend + 10 Hilton Honors Diamond status elite bonus)
- Ascend Card: 50 points per dollar spent (10 base + 20 triple points bonus + 12 credit card spend + 8 Hilton Honors Gold status elite bonus)
- Hilton Honors Card: 39 points per dollar spent (10 base + 20 triple points bonus + 7 credit card spend + 2 Hilton Honors Silver status elite bonus)
If you have the Ascend Card, Business Card or the lowest-tier Hilton Honors Card, you can boost your elite status — and earnings — by completing a status match, as Hilton Honors is currently offering a Gold or Diamond status match through March 2020.
4. Stay at a qualifying brand. To get the maximum 54x earnings, you’ll need to avoid Hilton brands that are excluded from the 10x points base rate. According to Hilton Honors terms and conditions, here are the brand exclusions:
At Home2 Suites by Hilton™ and Tru by Hilton™ hotels, earn 5 Base Points for every US dollar spent on your room rate only. All Hampton by Hilton™ hotels in China are currently excluded from the Hilton Honors program.
5. Use your American Express card. You’ll need to pay for Hilton stays with your Hilton Honors American Express credit card. This isn’t just to get up to 14x points per dollar spent on the stay, but it’s also a requirement of the triple points promotion:
“Triple Points” means that for each dollar spent using your Hilton Honors American Express Card on stays at a property within the Hilton portfolio during the month of July, you will receive from Hilton 10 Hilton Honors Base Points plus 20 Bonus Points
If you’re not currently a Hilton Honors American Express cardholder, now’s the perfect time to sign up for a card. Not only are the welcome bonuses sky-high, but you can earn up to 54x points per dollar spent at Hilton in July while spending toward your welcome bonus.
That said, you don’t have much time left to act. These increased Amex welcome bonuses only run through June 27. Also, you’re going to need the card in-hand in July to earn these outsized rewards.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Featured image courtesy Curio Collection by Hilton, France
- Earn 100,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 14X Hilton Bonus Points when you make eligible purchases on your Card at participating hotels or resorts within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 7X Hilton Honors Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your card at U.S. Supermarkets, U.S. Gas Stations, Eligible Airfare, Eligible Car Rentals, and U.S. Restaurants.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Enjoy one weekend night reward with your new Card and every year after renewal. Plus, earn an additional night after you spend $60,000 on your Card in a calendar year.
- Enjoy up to $250 in Hilton Resort Credits on your Card each anniversary year, when you stay at participating resorts within the Hilton portfolio.
- Enjoy complimentary Diamond status with your Hilton Honors Aspire Card.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees