Hi Fly Operates the World’s First Completely Plastic-Free Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
These days, the environmental impact of our actions is very much a hot topic. With individuals looking to become more eco-friendly, many travel brands are looking to demonstrate that they, too, are working to protect the environment.
In that spirit, Hi Fly, which specializes in wet leasing and charter flights, is operating what it’s calling the “first completely plastic-free flight” today, Dec. 26. Moreover, the company says it will be “the world’s first plastics-free airline within 12 months.”
Hi Fly’s A340, 9H-SUN, will operate a total of four test flights with newly crafted plastic replacements on board. Plastic cutlery on board has been swapped out for bamboo along with compostable packaging. The first flight will operate from Lisbon, Portugal to Natal in Brazil.
In a preflight statement Hi Fly President Paulo Mirpuri said that the test flights will “prevent around 350 kg of single-use, virtually indestructible plastics from poisoning our environment.”
Over the course of the four test flights, more than 700 passengers will get the chance to test out the wide range of replacement products, including cups, dishes and soft-drink bottles.
Hi Fly isn’t the first to jump on board with the eco-friendly movement; JetBlue, Virgin Atlantic and even Marriott Hotels have programs to help reduce impacts on the planet. Although the focus of programs differs between companies, in their own ways they’re all positioning themselves as having a lighter footprint on the world.
H/T: World Airline News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.