This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
These days, the environmental impact of our actions is very much a hot topic. With individuals looking to become more eco-friendly, many travel brands are looking to demonstrate that they, too, are working to protect the environment.
In that spirit, Hi Fly, which specializes in wet leasing and charter flights, is operating what it’s calling the “first completely plastic-free flight” today, Dec. 26. Moreover, the company says it will be “the world’s first plastics-free airline within 12 months.”
Hi Fly’s A340, 9H-SUN, will operate a total of four test flights with newly crafted plastic replacements on board. Plastic cutlery on board has been swapped out for bamboo along with compostable packaging. The first flight will operate from Lisbon, Portugal to Natal in Brazil.
In a preflight statement Hi Fly President Paulo Mirpuri said that the test flights will “prevent around 350 kg of single-use, virtually indestructible plastics from poisoning our environment.”
Over the course of the four test flights, more than 700 passengers will get the chance to test out the wide range of replacement products, including cups, dishes and soft-drink bottles.
Hi Fly isn’t the first to jump on board with the eco-friendly movement; JetBlue, Virgin Atlantic and even Marriott Hotels have programs to help reduce impacts on the planet. Although the focus of programs differs between companies, in their own ways they’re all positioning themselves as having a lighter footprint on the world.
H/T: World Airline News
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards