Marriott Will Ditch All Plastic Straws by 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott International announced Wednesday that it plans to completely remove single-use plastic straws and stirrers from its more than 6,500 locations around the world by 2019.
The hotel group, which attracts more than 1 million guests every night, says it will eliminate more than 1 billion plastic straws and about a quarter billion stirrers per year.
Ditching the plastic straws isn’t Marriott’s first move to increase its sustainability. By the end of this year, Marriott will replace small toiletry bottles in the guest bathrooms with larger, in-shower dispensers in more than 1,500 of its North American hotels. Outside the US, several Marriott properties like the Los Sueños Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort in Costa Rica and the Pancras Renaissance Hotel London have already eliminated plastic straws.
This initiative will take full effect at both managed and franchised properties, as well as Marriott corporate headquarters, by July 2019. That time will give its locations time to implement alternative products and deplete the current supply of single-use plastic straws.
Marriott isn’t the first travel company to make strides in helping its customers reduce plastic waste. Earlier this month, both Starbucks and American Airlines announced plans to eliminate single-use plastics from their services. Similarly, Alaska Airlines said its flights and lounges will provide its customers with products made from eco-friendly materials like white birch and bamboo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.