Marriott Will Ditch All Plastic Straws by 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott International announced Wednesday that it plans to completely remove single-use plastic straws and stirrers from its more than 6,500 locations around the world by 2019.
The hotel group, which attracts more than 1 million guests every night, says it will eliminate more than 1 billion plastic straws and about a quarter billion stirrers per year.
Ditching the plastic straws isn’t Marriott’s first move to increase its sustainability. By the end of this year, Marriott will replace small toiletry bottles in the guest bathrooms with larger, in-shower dispensers in more than 1,500 of its North American hotels. Outside the US, several Marriott properties like the Los Sueños Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort in Costa Rica and the Pancras Renaissance Hotel London have already eliminated plastic straws.
This initiative will take full effect at both managed and franchised properties, as well as Marriott corporate headquarters, by July 2019. That time will give its locations time to implement alternative products and deplete the current supply of single-use plastic straws.
Marriott isn’t the first travel company to make strides in helping its customers reduce plastic waste. Earlier this month, both Starbucks and American Airlines announced plans to eliminate single-use plastics from their services. Similarly, Alaska Airlines said its flights and lounges will provide its customers with products made from eco-friendly materials like white birch and bamboo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.