Marriott Will Ditch All Plastic Straws by 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott International announced Wednesday that it plans to completely remove single-use plastic straws and stirrers from its more than 6,500 locations around the world by 2019.
The hotel group, which attracts more than 1 million guests every night, says it will eliminate more than 1 billion plastic straws and about a quarter billion stirrers per year.
Ditching the plastic straws isn’t Marriott’s first move to increase its sustainability. By the end of this year, Marriott will replace small toiletry bottles in the guest bathrooms with larger, in-shower dispensers in more than 1,500 of its North American hotels. Outside the US, several Marriott properties like the Los Sueños Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort in Costa Rica and the Pancras Renaissance Hotel London have already eliminated plastic straws.
This initiative will take full effect at both managed and franchised properties, as well as Marriott corporate headquarters, by July 2019. That time will give its locations time to implement alternative products and deplete the current supply of single-use plastic straws.
Marriott isn’t the first travel company to make strides in helping its customers reduce plastic waste. Earlier this month, both Starbucks and American Airlines announced plans to eliminate single-use plastics from their services. Similarly, Alaska Airlines said its flights and lounges will provide its customers with products made from eco-friendly materials like white birch and bamboo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees