Virgin Atlantic 747 Flight Uses Eco-Friendly Jet Fuel Made From Waste Emissions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air travel is notoriously bad for the environment. But, Virgin Atlantic, Boeing and emissions recycling company LanzaTech have partnered to change that.
Wednesday’s Virgin Atlantic Flight VS16 from Orlando to London Gatwick will be the inaugural commercial flight powered by jet fuel made from recycled waste carbon gases. Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson will be on hand to welcome the Boeing 747 upon arrival.
LanzaTech takes waste carbon-rich gases from steel making and other heavy industrial processes and converts them into ethanol, which is then used to make jet fuel. LanzaTech’s fuel was approved for use up to a 50/50 mix with traditional fossil jet fuel by the ASTM International committee, an organization responsible for evaluating and setting technical standards across a wide range of materials, products, systems and services. The fuel, which has a comparable market price to traditional fossil fuel, has undergone extensive testing and review by all aircraft manufacturers and other specialists, performing comparably to or better than 100% traditional fossil fuel across a full range of performance and safety metrics.
The company hopes to open three commercial plants by 2025, which would produce up to 125 million gallons of sustainable fuel per year — enough to fly all Virgin Atlantic’s UK outbound flights as a 50/50 mix. LanzaTech’s technology would also save nearly one million tons of life-cycle carbon that traditionally is difficult to recycle or reuse, while injecting thousands of jobs across the supply chain market and providing important trade import and export potential. All of these benefits will be extremely beneficial to the UK in a post-Brexit Britain. If expanded further, LanzaTech anticipates that its technology, rolled out worldwide to around 65% of the world’s total steel mills, could produce enough fuel to meet approximately 20% of the world’s current demand for commercial jet fuel.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees