Hawaii governor lays foundation for vaccinated travelers to avoid quarantine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On April 9, Hawaii Gov. David Ige issued his 19th proclamation related to the COVID-19 emergency. The 72-page document outlines a variety of topics and issues, including — for the first time — the foundation for vaccinated travelers to have the opportunity to avoid the mandatory 10-day quarantine.
Under the section for exemptions to the self-quarantine (which already includes anyone with an approved negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of departure of their last leg to Hawaii) there is new language paving the way for vaccinated travelers to also skip quarantine:
“Upon the establishment of an exception by the Director of HIEMA, persons who, prior to departure to the State, upload into the State’s Safe Travels program or otherwise provide validation that they have completed a vaccine regimen approved by DOH. This third exception is not available as of the date of this Proclamation, requires action by the Director of HIEMA and details will be posted at https://hawaiicovid19.com/. Persons under the age of five accompanied by a traveler who meets existing test exceptions are not required to obtain a test prior to arrival.”
This is the latest development in the seemingly ever-changing rules of visiting Hawaii. The rules also continue to change by island. Effective any day now will be an additional layer of testing upon entry into Maui. The new testing requirement, supposedly at no cost to the traveler, was supposed to take effect yesterday but may not be in place until the end of April.
Gov. Ige’s latest announcement is likely welcome news to the now millions of vaccinated travelers. The current 72-hour testing requirement can be tricky depending on your travel plans. If coming from the East Coast and connecting on the West Coast to Hawaii, your test must have been completed within 72 hours of departure of your final leg to Hawaii, not the departure time of when you leave home. It must also be one of a few approved tests.
Until the newest exemption for vaccinated travelers takes place, you can make your travel to Hawaii a bit easier if you fly nonstop from 27 mainland U.S. cities.
Featured image courtesy Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees