You can enter one of New York City’s most exclusive parks tomorrow only — but there’s a catch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
Tomorrow, Gramercy Park will open to visitors for one hour only.
This small, block-long green space nestled between East 21st and East 20th streets in the historic neighborhood of the same name is arguably one of the most exclusive places in New York City (except, perhaps, for Rao’s). That’s because it’s the only private park in Manhattan and access is guarded by wrought-iron gates.
You need a very rare, very expensive key to enter Gramercy Park, and there are fewer than 400 of those in existence. As The New York Times explained, keys are given only to those who rent or own property directly on Gramercy Park; or are members “in very good standing” of elite clubs and congregations such as the National Arts Club, the Brotherhood Synagogue and Calvary-St. George’s Church, among others. Guests staying at the ritzy Gramercy Park Hotel get access to the park too, but must be escorted in and out — the key remains with hotel staff members. Otherwise, you’re out of luck.
But for one day and one hour only, the rules change.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Every year on Christmas Eve, the park opens to the public for one hour, and one hour only. During those magical 60 minutes, people come together to sing carols and celebrate the holiday season. Call it a Christmas miracle, if you will.
According to 6Sqft, the event is run by the Trustees of Gramercy Park, with the nearby Parish of Calvary-St. George’s leading the music. If you attend, keep in mind that dogs, alcohol, bikes, smoking, playing and feeding animals are strictly forbidden. The park will open from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 24.
New York City is pretty magical this time of year. If you don’t find yourself in the Gramercy neighborhood this Tuesday, don’t fret. There are still plenty of other things to see and do during the holidays in the Big Apple.
Of course, if you want to avoid the crowds — and cold — you might want to push your visit back a few months. Whatever you choose, check out our top picks for the best points hotels in the city. You can even use Marriott points to get a free night at the Gramercy Park Hotel (read: access to Gramercy Park) because it’s a participating member of Design Hotels. Just be prepared to splash out, as award night at this Category 8 property start at 70,000 points per night on off-peak dates.
Need to bolster your Marriott balance? Sign up for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card, and you can earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Consider that one night at the hotel — and your golden ticket (er, key) to the most elite park in New York City.
Featured image courtesy of zxvisual/Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees