Simple Google Flights Browser Extension Makes Price Comparisons Easy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We here at TPG are huge fans of Google Flights. The ability to quickly search airline prices, schedules and routing options means that we’re daily users of the free search engine. Tools like “Explore Map” are great for helping find a cheap getaway for particular dates or interests.
But, while Google Flights has recently rolled out some helpful improvements, there are still some shortcomings with the site that we’d love to see tackled. While we wait for features like filtering out basic economy fares, unaffiliated developers have taken the task on themselves to make the site better. Must-have extensions have been developed to add legroom data to initial search results and flag when a fare is a basic economy fare.
Now, there’s another extension that helps you book your flight for the cheapest price. Flight Fare Compare is a Chrome extension that helps you easily compare the search results you find on Google Flights with fares for the same flights via Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
I’ve tested the extension and found that it delivers just what it promises. When you complete a search, a notification appears at the top right corner with the option “Compare.” Clicking that button will launch searches in new Chrome tabs on the sites that you’ve selected in the extension options.
If you’re interested in adding this option to your future Google Flights searches, here’s how to set it up:
- Open Chrome. (Unfortunately, this extension isn’t available on other browsers)
- Browse to the Flight Fare Compare extension install page
- Click “Add to Chrome” and confirm.
Kayak, Momondo and SkyScanner are solid options for finding cheap flight prices. However, this is accomplished by linking to zero-service Online Travel Agencies (OTAs). I think that it’d be a nice improvement for Flight Fare Compare to also give options to link to more-trusted OTAs like Expedia and Orbitz — Google Flights already provides booking buttons for OTAs such as those on assembled itineraries, but not on search results.
H/T: TPG Reader Michael
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees