Simple Google Flights Browser Extension Makes Price Comparisons Easy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We here at TPG are huge fans of Google Flights. The ability to quickly search airline prices, schedules and routing options means that we’re daily users of the free search engine. Tools like “Explore Map” are great for helping find a cheap getaway for particular dates or interests.
But, while Google Flights has recently rolled out some helpful improvements, there are still some shortcomings with the site that we’d love to see tackled. While we wait for features like filtering out basic economy fares, unaffiliated developers have taken the task on themselves to make the site better. Must-have extensions have been developed to add legroom data to initial search results and flag when a fare is a basic economy fare.
Now, there’s another extension that helps you book your flight for the cheapest price. Flight Fare Compare is a Chrome extension that helps you easily compare the search results you find on Google Flights with fares for the same flights via Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
I’ve tested the extension and found that it delivers just what it promises. When you complete a search, a notification appears at the top right corner with the option “Compare.” Clicking that button will launch searches in new Chrome tabs on the sites that you’ve selected in the extension options.
If you’re interested in adding this option to your future Google Flights searches, here’s how to set it up:
- Open Chrome. (Unfortunately, this extension isn’t available on other browsers)
- Browse to the Flight Fare Compare extension install page
- Click “Add to Chrome” and confirm.
Kayak, Momondo and SkyScanner are solid options for finding cheap flight prices. However, this is accomplished by linking to zero-service Online Travel Agencies (OTAs). I think that it’d be a nice improvement for Flight Fare Compare to also give options to link to more-trusted OTAs like Expedia and Orbitz — Google Flights already provides booking buttons for OTAs such as those on assembled itineraries, but not on search results.
H/T: TPG Reader Michael
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.