This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We here at TPG are huge fans of Google Flights. The ability to quickly search airline prices, schedules and routing options means that we’re daily users of the free search engine. Tools like “Explore Map” are great for helping find a cheap getaway for particular dates or interests.
But, while Google Flights has recently rolled out some helpful improvements, there are still some shortcomings with the site that we’d love to see tackled. While we wait for features like filtering out basic economy fares, unaffiliated developers have taken the task on themselves to make the site better. Must-have extensions have been developed to add legroom data to initial search results and flag when a fare is a basic economy fare.
Now, there’s another extension that helps you book your flight for the cheapest price. Flight Fare Compare is a Chrome extension that helps you easily compare the search results you find on Google Flights with fares for the same flights via Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
I’ve tested the extension and found that it delivers just what it promises. When you complete a search, a notification appears at the top right corner with the option “Compare.” Clicking that button will launch searches in new Chrome tabs on the sites that you’ve selected in the extension options.
If you’re interested in adding this option to your future Google Flights searches, here’s how to set it up:
- Open Chrome. (Unfortunately, this extension isn’t available on other browsers)
- Browse to the Flight Fare Compare extension install page
- Click “Add to Chrome” and confirm.
Kayak, Momondo and SkyScanner are solid options for finding cheap flight prices. However, this is accomplished by linking to zero-service Online Travel Agencies (OTAs). I think that it’d be a nice improvement for Flight Fare Compare to also give options to link to more-trusted OTAs like Expedia and Orbitz — Google Flights already provides booking buttons for OTAs such as those on assembled itineraries, but not on search results.
H/T: TPG Reader Michael
Featured image by Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards