This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We here at TPG are huge fans of Google Flights. The ability to quickly search airline prices, schedules and routing options means that we’re daily users of the free search engine. Tools like “Explore Map” are great for helping find a cheap getaway for particular dates or interests.
But, while Google Flights has recently rolled out some helpful improvements, there are still some shortcomings with the site that we’d love to see tackled. While we wait for features like filtering out basic economy fares, unaffiliated developers have taken the task on themselves to make the site better. Must-have extensions have been developed to add legroom data to initial search results and flag when a fare is a basic economy fare.
Now, there’s another extension that helps you book your flight for the cheapest price. Flight Fare Compare is a Chrome extension that helps you easily compare the search results you find on Google Flights with fares for the same flights via Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
I’ve tested the extension and found that it delivers just what it promises. When you complete a search, a notification appears at the top right corner with the option “Compare.” Clicking that button will launch searches in new Chrome tabs on the sites that you’ve selected in the extension options.
If you’re interested in adding this option to your future Google Flights searches, here’s how to set it up:
- Open Chrome. (Unfortunately, this extension isn’t available on other browsers)
- Browse to the Flight Fare Compare extension install page
- Click “Add to Chrome” and confirm.
Kayak, Momondo and SkyScanner are solid options for finding cheap flight prices. However, this is accomplished by linking to zero-service Online Travel Agencies (OTAs). I think that it’d be a nice improvement for Flight Fare Compare to also give options to link to more-trusted OTAs like Expedia and Orbitz — Google Flights already provides booking buttons for OTAs such as those on assembled itineraries, but not on search results.
H/T: TPG Reader Michael
Featured image by Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees