Google Introduces New Flights Features, Easier Basic Economy Searching
There’s no doubt that Google Flights is one of the best tools out there for searching for flights. With so many features and ways to customize your searches for near-immediate results, it’s a must when you’re looking to book travel. As of Wednesday, Google Flights are adding two new features: the ability to see specifics on a basic economy fare, plus real-time and predicted flight delays.
For frequent travelers, basic economy fares are often the most avoided. Between not allowing you to pick your seat, carry-on and boarding restrictions and more, which change from carrier to carrier, basic economy fares can be confusing. Now, Google Flights is spelling out what’s included in a specific basic economy fare once you’ve selected your flights, taking some of the confusion out of the process.
Say, for example, you’ve selected a United Airlines fare. Once you click through, Google Flights will now indicate explicitly that it is a basic economy fare in a grey box. It’ll then inform you of the specific restrictions that come with a United BE ticket, such as no overhead bin space, no seat selection, no ticket changes and no upgrades. Plus, it will then tell you how much it’ll cost to upgrade to a regular economy ticket.
Not only is Google Flights making positive changes to how it informs you of basic economy tickets, but it’s also helping to take some of the stress out of travel. Google will now start publishing reasons for flight delays, such as weather or aircraft arriving late. In addition, Google will also start populating the interface with delay predictions based on historical flight status data and machine learning algorithms.
For example, you can search for your flight, such as AA4442, and get the status on your flight. If it’s likely to be delayed, Google will now tell you that in a prediction — even before the airline itself. Based on Google’s historical data and algorithms, the company says it’s at least 80% confident in the prediction. If you flight is confirmed to be delayed, such as NZ282 in the image below, Google Flights will tell you the exact reason, such as a delayed incoming flight.
Both of the features are now available globally wherever Google Flights is available. For the basic economy feature, it’s now available just for flights with American, Delta and United.
These are both positive changes from Google and its Flights search engine. TPG recommends Google Flights as one of the best ways to search for flights with accurate and near-immediate results. Now, with Flights making it easier to distinguish a dreaded basic economy fare and what is included, there’s more clarity in searching. Plus, having access to real-time or predicted flight data from Google could be a game-changer when planning your trip to the airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees