Google Flights Now Tells You the Baggage Rules on Some Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since American Airlines and United Airlines implemented their basic economy fares last month, travelers have had to prepare to accept the terms of flying basic economy in exchange for a cheap ticket. And in the past couple of weeks, Google Flights has developed a tool that alerts you of the baggage rules when you’re looking at a basic economy fare or one with a low-cost carrier.
If you’re looking for your next ticket on Google Flights, the search tool is now making it easier to distinguish what kind of ticket you’re buying. Say, for example, you spot a cheap round-trip fare between Dallas (DFW) and Tampa (TPA) with American. Once you click on your preferred flights, you’ll have your summary, where you can then click to book directly through AA. Google Flights now displays a warning at the bottom of the page and above the booking link that informs you of AA’s baggage policy for basic economy fares — one small personal item.
The platform also gives similar warnings for United’s basic economy fares:
Note that Google Flights doesn’t offer a basic economy fare warning for Delta, most likely because its basic economy fare allows travelers one full-size carry on and a personal item for free.
However, you’ll continue to see other baggage info warnings on low-cost carriers’ results with Google Flights, like with this Frontier flight between New York (LGA) and Miami (MIA).
And the same goes for Frontier’s low-cost counterpart, Spirit on this flight between Chicago (ORD) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL).
In all, this is a useful addition from Google Flights. When booking, travelers often go for the lowest price and sometimes forget about other costs associated with the ticket, such as baggage fees. And while we’ve known they exist with low-cost carriers, the implementation of basic economy fares on United and American could be surprising for travelers. It’s helpful to be warned of the extra costs associated with your travel before completing your booking.
Featured image courtesy of vanbeets via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees