Google Assistant Now Lets You Book Hotels, Check-in for Flights With Your Voice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already capable of telling you why your flight is delayed and how to book your next Uber, Google is one step closer to world travel domination thanks to two new Google Assistant features that just rolled out.
Using just your voice (look, Ma, no hands!), users will be able to check-in for “domestic flights serviced by United Airlines” on smartphones with Android or iOS simply by saying, “Hey Google, check in to my flight,” according to the company.
One perk of this new technology is that Google Assistant will send a notification to your phone to remind you that check-in is available, and you’ll be able to view your boarding pass, hands-free (i.e. no more trying to dig up or remember your confirmation number). Although currently only available on United flights, Google says it looks forward “to expanding this feature to more airlines and flights soon.”
In addition to these new flight capabilities, you can also now book a hotel room in the US via your Android or iOS smartphone with a simple command like,“Hey Google, I’d like to book the Cambria Hotel in New York on January 12th,” which will pull up availability, pricing, booking and payment using existing Google Pay credentials.
Google says it’s working with a range of companies on the new technology, including Choice Hotels, AccorHotels and InterContinental Hotels Group, as well as online travel agencies and partners such as Priceline, Expedia, Mirai and Travelclick.
At this rate, it won’t be long before Amazon one-ups Google by having its virtual assistant, Alexa, pack your suitcase for you.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees