Google Assistant Now Lets You Book Hotels, Check-in for Flights With Your Voice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already capable of telling you why your flight is delayed and how to book your next Uber, Google is one step closer to world travel domination thanks to two new Google Assistant features that just rolled out.
Using just your voice (look, Ma, no hands!), users will be able to check-in for “domestic flights serviced by United Airlines” on smartphones with Android or iOS simply by saying, “Hey Google, check in to my flight,” according to the company.
One perk of this new technology is that Google Assistant will send a notification to your phone to remind you that check-in is available, and you’ll be able to view your boarding pass, hands-free (i.e. no more trying to dig up or remember your confirmation number). Although currently only available on United flights, Google says it looks forward “to expanding this feature to more airlines and flights soon.”
In addition to these new flight capabilities, you can also now book a hotel room in the US via your Android or iOS smartphone with a simple command like,“Hey Google, I’d like to book the Cambria Hotel in New York on January 12th,” which will pull up availability, pricing, booking and payment using existing Google Pay credentials.
Google says it’s working with a range of companies on the new technology, including Choice Hotels, AccorHotels and InterContinental Hotels Group, as well as online travel agencies and partners such as Priceline, Expedia, Mirai and Travelclick.
At this rate, it won’t be long before Amazon one-ups Google by having its virtual assistant, Alexa, pack your suitcase for you.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.