This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already capable of telling you why your flight is delayed and how to book your next Uber, Google is one step closer to world travel domination thanks to two new Google Assistant features that just rolled out.
Using just your voice (look, Ma, no hands!), users will be able to check-in for “domestic flights serviced by United Airlines” on smartphones with Android or iOS simply by saying, “Hey Google, check in to my flight,” according to the company.
One perk of this new technology is that Google Assistant will send a notification to your phone to remind you that check-in is available, and you’ll be able to view your boarding pass, hands-free (i.e. no more trying to dig up or remember your confirmation number). Although currently only available on United flights, Google says it looks forward “to expanding this feature to more airlines and flights soon.”
In addition to these new flight capabilities, you can also now book a hotel room in the US via your Android or iOS smartphone with a simple command like,“Hey Google, I’d like to book the Cambria Hotel in New York on January 12th,” which will pull up availability, pricing, booking and payment using existing Google Pay credentials.
Google says it’s working with a range of companies on the new technology, including Choice Hotels, AccorHotels and InterContinental Hotels Group, as well as online travel agencies and partners such as Priceline, Expedia, Mirai and Travelclick.
At this rate, it won’t be long before Amazon one-ups Google by having its virtual assistant, Alexa, pack your suitcase for you.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees