This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the quantity of available ride-hailing services grows in major metropolitan areas, it has become something of a hassle to compare prices. Opening up a handful of apps and plugging in the same destination doesn’t exactly scream “efficient,” and while that’s not the top advertised perk of Google’s latest Assistant feature, it’s a great wrinkle that will benefit travelers.
Starting now (albeit only in English), Google Assistant has gained the ability to book a ride via Uber, Lyft, Ola, Grab, GO-JEK and “many more, along with more information on estimated pricing and wait times from each service.” With your Android phone, iPhone, Google Home, or any smart speaker with the Assistant, start by saying, “Hey Google, book a ride to the [your favorite eatery]” or “Hey Google, get me a taxi to [your airport of choice].” If you only want ride options from a single provider, just include their name in your request, for example, “Hey Google, get me a Lyft ride to RDU.”
Google’s planning to roll out support for other languages “in the coming months,” and it’s worth noting that while you can search for pricing via voice, you will need to tap and complete the booking yourself through the service you end up selecting.
Featured image by the author.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees