Google Assistant Will Soon Tell You Why Your Flight Is Delayed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Google tool will soon offer travelers mobile push notifications suggesting why an upcoming flight might be delayed.
The Google Assistant app currently lets travelers know when Google is 85% certain that a flight will be delayed – a feature launched earlier this year, according to a blog post by Richard Holden, Google’s vice president of product management for travel. But this latest update is designed to help a traveler understand what may be the underlying reason behind a delay, so the traveler knows whether they should still be on time.
While many airlines and apps seek to offer this same information, none have Google’s extensive reach. The Internet search giant most likely has access to this information because many travelers utilize Gmail to track their flight confirmations, and Google also owns the ITA Matrix, the comprehensive flight search software system. The Google Assistant tool will also draw from Google’s numerous other data feeds in order to pull together a comprehensive picture of the situation for traveler notifications.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees