Frontier Airlines adds 4 cities to route map in 8-route expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The expansion also will add four more dots to Frontier’s route map:
- Anchorage, Alaska (last served by Frontier in 2014)
- Durango, Colorado (last served by Frontier in 2015)
- Grand Junction, Colorado (last served by Frontier in 2009)
- Kalispell, Montana
All four bring Frontier to airports that serve as gateways to nearby national parks or other outdoor recreation areas.
Frontier’s Tuesday news follows three separate announcements last week that saw the carrier add a combined 16 routes and one new city (Rochester, New York). The growth comes as all U.S. carriers have begun to rebuild their schedules following steep cuts made at the height of the pandemic. As they do, airlines across the board have been pivoting to outdoor-oriented, pandemic-friendly destinations — and that includes Frontier.
“As the temperatures are warming up and the vaccine programs are rolling out, I think there’s a natural longing for people to reconnect,” Josh Flyr, Frontier’s vice president of network and operational design, said to TPG. “That can mean reconnecting with friends and family in these places or it can mean reconnecting with the outdoors.”
With that in mind, Flyr said the four airports Frontier added in Tuesday’s announcement “are all top outdoor destinations where you can access a wide range of activities that I think people will be demanding this summer.”
More new routes: Frontier Airlines adds 8 new routes, including 6 from Atlanta
Denver, Frontier’s hometown and busiest base, also fared well in the latest update. It landed four of the eight routes, all to those newly added destinations. That service comes as Frontier has increasingly looked to expand its footprint in other parts of the nation.
“We’ve taken this airline from an airline that was 90-plus percent Denver to one that really has a nationwide appeal and with a brand that resonates nationwide,” Flyr said. “But having done that, we haven’t forgotten that our home is here in Denver and in Colorado. The market and the state have held on extremely well for us. These new routes, we’re excited about them. They’re a reflection of our commitment to Denver and to Colorado and also a reflection of what we think works in this demanding environment.”
Two of Frontier’s routes – Chicago O’Hare-Salt Lake City and DFW-Salt Lake City – will fly between major hubs of rival carriers. Salt Lake City is a major western hub for Delta, while both American and United have hubs at Chicago O’Hare. DFW is the busiest hub in American’s network.
The added routes also further beef up Frontier’s presence in some major airports. With the additions, Frontier will be up to 45 nonstop destinations from Las Vegas, 20 from Chicago O’Hare and 12 from DFW. The new Salt Lake City service will give Frontier a total of six nonstop routes there.
Schedule details for all eight of the new routes are below. All are scheduled to be seasonal except Las Vegas-Durango, which is being introduced as year-round service.
Introductory fares on the new routes range from $19 to $49 one-way on the routes in the contiguous 48 states. The Anchorage flights have introductory fares beginning at $79 one-way.
Also focusing on the Rockies: United upgrades 14 outdoor-focused routes for the summer
Frontier’s new routes from Denver (DEN)
- Anchorage (ANC): Begins June 9 (2x weekly)
- Durango, Colorado (DRO): Begins June 4 (4x weekly)
- Grand Junction, Colorado (GJT): Begins June 8 (3x weekly)
- Kalispell, Montana (FCA): Begins June 17 (3x weekly)
What’s Frontier like? Everything you should know before flying Frontier Airlines
Frontier’s new routes from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
- Ontario, California (ONT): Begins June 11 (4x weekly)
- Salt Lake City (SLC): Begins June 10 (3x weekly)
Frontier’s new route from Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Salt Lake City (SLC): Begins June 10 (3x weekly)
Frontier’s new routes from Las Vegas (LAS)
- Durango, Colorado (DRO): Begins June 11 (2x weekly)
Featured image by Matt Staver/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.