Frontier expands again, takes on American, United in Dallas and Chicago
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another set of new routes for Frontier Airlines.
The Denver-based carrier announced plans for three new routes Thursday, the third day in a row that Frontier has unveiled new service.
In total, Frontier has announced a total of 16 new routes since Tuesday. Many of the airline’s other new routes have been to outdoor-oriented destinations that have proven popular during the pandemic.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Beginning June 11, Frontier plans to add seasonal nonstop service between DFW and O’Hare. With that, Frontier will go up against American – which operates a megahub at DFW and another large one at O’Hare – and United, which operates one of its busiest hubs at O’Hare.
Frontier will offer four flights a week between the cities into the fall. American’s June schedule shows up to 15 daily round-trip flights on the route while United’s shows eight. Spirit, a rival ultra-low-cost carrier, flies up to twice daily between DFW and O’Hare. Southwest also competes on the route, through it’s flights at to Dallas Love Field. TO that airport, Southwest flies three daily round-trip flights from O’Hare and another seven from Chicago Midway.
Elsewhere, Frontier will add service between DFW and St. Louis and between Chicago O’Hare and Nashville. Both routes will be seasonal, featuring four weekly flights beginning in June.
Those routes also will go up against robust schedules on major rivals – especially on the Chicago-St. Louis route. United alone offers nine daily round-trip flight in its June schedule while American flies seven. On top of that, Southwest flies six daily round-trip flights to St. Louis from Chicago Midway.
Expansion round II: Frontier Airlines adds 5 more new routes, giving it a total of 13 in just 2 days
Expansion round I: Frontier Airlines adds 8 new routes, including 6 from Atlanta
Between Nashville and DFW, Frontier’s four weekly flights will match up against nine daily round-trip flights on American. From Dallas Love Field, Southwest flies six times daily to Nashville.
Frontier’s new routes from Chicago O’Hare
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW): Begins June 11 (4x weekly)
- St. Louis (STL): Begins June 11 (4x weekly)
Frontier’s new routes from Dallas/Fort Worth
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD): Begins June 11 (4x weekly)
- Nashville (BNA): Begins June 10 (4x weekly)
What’s Frontier like? Everything you should know before flying Frontier Airlines
Editor’s note: This post has been updated to include details about Southwest’s new service from Chicago O’Hare.
Featured photo by AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees