This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something you don’t see often: saver level space on a coveted Delta lie-flat seat to one of the most awe-inspiring places on Earth. Oh, and something else you rarely see: enough of those seats to fly your whole family there during summer break. Presumably in an attempt to draw more attention to Delta’s upcoming nonstop service between Detroit (DTW) and Honolulu (HNL), the carrier is offering as many as eight business class seats at saver level on each flight. Now “saver level” is a bit of a tricky concept when using Delta SkyMiles as they no longer have a published award chart, but it is still an important distinction when booking with partners, which is the better deal we will get to in a minute.
As a reminder, the Detroit-Honolulu route will be served with Boeing 767-300ER aircraft equipped with 25 fully lie-flat seats in Delta One, 29 seats Delta Comfort+ and 171 seats in the Main Cabin. The onboard experience includes access to Wi-Fi, free personal in-flight seatback entertainment screens and power ports at every seat. At 4,475 miles one-way, that’s a whole lot of flight time to enjoy the product.
While the award search engine on Delta.com shows one-way business class pricing at anywhere between 55,000 and 102,500 SkyMiles from late June 2019 onward, there’s a better way to book.
You can book Delta One seats via Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, and even if you’ve never flown Virgin Atlantic, you can still take advantage. Simply head over to Virgin Atlantic, create a free account, and search for the date or dates that would work for you using their five-week date search. Once you’ve found the ideal match, you can transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou points and Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic’s program. You can even mix and match, transferring a bundle from one program and a bundle from another to reach the amount you need to book the tickets. We’ve created a step-by-step guide to booking Delta seats via Virgin Atlantic right here.
Note that when searching for Honolulu as a destination on the Virgin Atlantic site, it may not pop-up automatically. If that happens, click on the purple circle in the search field and select the airport manually.
Virgin Atlantic is pricing out these lie-flat seats at 37,500 miles one-way, with up to eight seats available on each flight. That’s a veritable steal considering the ~10 hours you’ll spend onboard, and Detroit is a pretty easy airport to reach within the Delta network. Once you’re in Hawaii, take a look at our guides below to make the most of your trip.
- 14 Outrageous Experiences You Can Have in Hawaii
- Which Island and Hotel Should I Choose in Hawaii?
- 8 Incredible Honolulu Airbnbs for Every Style and Budget
- Why Travel to Hawaii is Worth it For Our Family
If you’re looking to boost your available points across any of the aforementioned credit card currencies, be sure to check out our guide to the best travel rewards credit cards for families.
H/T: View from the Wing
Set your own sign-up bonus with the Discover It Miles card. Any rewards you earn in the first year will automatically be matched at the end of the year and you'll earn an unlimited 1.5 miles on all purchases with no annual fee.
- Intro Offer: Discover will match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 30,000 Miles, you get 60,000 Miles. That's $600 towards travel!
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates – fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive Free Social Security number alerts— Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No Annual Fee.
- Rates & Fees