Fiji Airways to Operate New A350 to LA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week Fiji Airways announced it would be acquiring two Airbus A350-900s later this year, and now we know where the airline will fly. Routes Online reports that starting January 1, 2020, Fiji Airways will fly its new aircraft between its hub in Nadi, Fiji (NAN) and Sydney (SYD) and Los Angeles (LAX).
Flights between Sydney and Nadi will occur once per week whereas LA will see six weekly frequencies from the new aircraft. The A350s will get 33 business class seats, specifically the Collins Aerospace ‘Super Diamond’ product, which is featured on a few other aircraft, including Royal Air Maroc’s new Boeing 787-9 and Air Canada’s 787-8. Coach class will feature 301 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
How to book
Fiji Airways is a Oneworld connect member, so you’ll be able to earn and redeem popular currencies like American Airlines miles, British Airways Avios, Qantas points and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles for flights on the carrier. The airline flies between Nadi and three US destinations: San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX) and Honolulu (HNL), although the A350 will be flying just to LA initially.
The best way to book up front will be with Alaska Airlines miles, requiring just 55,000 miles for a one-way flight in business between the US and Fiji with reasonable surcharges. You’ll have to shell out 40,000 American miles in economy and 80,000 in business for one-way flights between the US and Fiji. British Airways Avios has favorable rates in economy, charging just 30,000 points one-way (although that may increase soon).
Here’s a breakdown of the different redemptions on Fiji Airways between Los Angeles and Nadi:
|Mileage Program||Coach (one-way)||Business (one-way)|
|Alaska||40,000 miles||55,000 miles|
|American||40,000 miles||80,000 miles|
|British Airways||30,000 Avios||90,000 Avios|
|Qantas||35,000 points||72,000 points|
Paid fares aren’t too bad when originating from Fiji, with one-way business fares starting from $1,123, while you’ll be paying more than double when originating in the US.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.