This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Oneworld Connect platform, connected to the Oneworld alliance which includes American Airlines and British Airways, allows select non-alliance airlines to share certain Oneworld services and benefits with their customers. In turn, passengers get to enjoy a more seamless travel experience. In order to qualify as a Oneworld Connect partner, an airline must be sponsored by a minimum of three Oneworld members. Fiji’s inaugural sponsors include all four of Oneworld’s founding members: American, British, Cathay Pacific and Qantas. American, Cathay Pacific and Qantas already codeshare with, and have frequent flyer links, with Fiji Airways, while British Airways and Fiji Airways have discussed additional expansion opportunities in their mutual partnership.
In plainer speak, customers of American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, and Qantas will enjoy through check-in privileges for themselves and their luggage when flying Fiji Airways. This means travelers can pass all the way through on a single check-in at their origin airport, instead of having to collect their bags and check in again when transitioning between airlines. Furthermore, travelers who booked tickets through these four Oneworld airlines will now also be able to earn and redeem miles, including status miles, on Fiji flights. That’s a lot of the benefits of full alliance membership as far as passengers are concerned.
In turn, Fiji Airways travelers benefit from the new Oneworld Connect relationship as well. Fiji frequent flyers will enjoy the same through check-in privileges on American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas. Furthermore, Tabua Plus cardholders receive priority check-in, priority boarding, and select lounge access worldwide on flights both marketed and operated by the above four airlines.
Most of the partnership benefits for British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas customers kicked in on December 5, while benefits for American Airlines customers will be phased in by late Q1 2019. But Avios redemption on Fiji is not yet available, although it will be coming in the near future. Similarly, Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club members will be able to earn or redeem club points or earn tier status points on Fiji Airways sometime in the near future, although the specific date hasn’t yet been announced.
The Oneworld airline alliance is fielding conversations with other carriers interested in participating in Oneworld Connect. According to media reports, Alaska Airlines is a possible candidate.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees