There’s a New Airline in the Oneworld Alliance (Sort Of)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Oneworld is one of the three major airline alliances: Oneworld (American Airlines and partners), SkyTeam (Delta and partners) and Star Alliance (United and partners). It currently has a roster of 13 airlines and 30 affiliate members — like American Airlines’ regional partners and LATAM subsidiary airlines.
And this weekend at the IATA’s Annual General Meeting, Oneworld took steps to get even larger by adding a new airline to its alliance… kind of. Fiji Airways will become the first Oneworld Connect member. (The date will be announced at a later time.)
What’s Oneworld Connect?
Oneworld Connect is a new membership type in the Oneworld alliance that’s a step down from being a full member. Fiji Airways is the first — and so far only — Oneworld Connect member. All Oneworld elites will be granted priority check-in and priority boarding on Oneworld Connect airlines.
However, only alliance airlines acting as “Oneworld sponsors” will share further benefits with the Oneworld Connect airline. These benefits include:
- Through check-in of bags and passengers: Allowing passengers to switch between the Sponsor airline and the Connect airline without having to claim and re-check your bags
- Earn mileage rewards: Sponsor airline frequent flyers can collect miles for flying on the Connect airline (and visa versa)
- Redeem mileage rewards: Sponsor airline frequent flyers can redeem miles to fly on the Connect airline (and visa versa)
- Earn frequent flyer status points: Sponsor airline frequent flyers can earn their way toward elite status by flying on the Connect airline (and visa versa)
- Access to select lounges at key airports for premium and top-tier customers: First and business class passengers and elites will be able to access lounges between Sponsor and Connect airlines
Who are Fiji Airways’ sponsors?
Good news for AAdvantage elites: American Airlines is one of the four sponsors of Fiji Airways’ Oneworld Connect membership. The other three are British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas.
Since Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines aren’t sponsors, Fiji Airways’ Oneworld Connect membership won’t mean much to members and elites of these mileage programs.
What does this mean for American Airlines elites and mileage collectors?
American Airlines and Fiji Airways already have a codeshare and frequent flyer partnership, so the changes will be minimal. AAdvantage members can already book and redeem AA miles on Fiji Airways, and the codeshare partnership allows passengers to check bags through to their final destination when traveling on the same reservation.
However, one notable improvement will be the ability to earn toward American Airlines elite status on Fiji Airways-marketed flights once the Oneworld Connect partnership goes into effect. Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) and Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD) earning rates haven’t been released yet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees