Fiji Airways Gets A350, Will Fly to US With New Biz Class Product
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fiji Airways has announced it will be adding two Airbus A350-900s to its fleet later this year. The aircraft will be leased from Dubai-based DAE Capital, and the first flights are expected to commence between Nadi, Fiji, and Australia and the US in late November or December of 2019.
The A350 joins Fiji Airways long-haul fleet of six Airbus A330s. Both of the new jets will be outfitted in a two cabin configuration with 33 business class seats and 301 economy seats.
The aircraft will see an entirely new business class seat, according to the Australian Business Traveller, which reports that the aircraft will get the Collins Aerospace ‘Super Diamond’ seat arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. The Super Diamond was recently selected to be used as British Airways’ new Club World product and is already in service with Virgin Australia, Air Canada and Qatar Airways. This is a huge improvement over Fiji’s current 2-2-2 layout that feature angle flat seats.
Fiji was able to take delivery of the jets in such a short period of time because they are leasing the aircraft, which were originally slated to go to Hong Kong Airlines, which has had a series of recent financial difficulties resulting aircraft order cuts.
Apex reports that both aircraft will come installed with THALES latest IFE system and onboard Wi-Fi.
How to book
Fiji Airways is a Oneworld connect member, so you’ll be able to earn and redeem popular currencies like American Airlines miles, British Airways Avios, Qantas points and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles for flights on the carrier. The airline flies between Nadi and three US destinations: San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX) and Honolulu (HNL).
However the best way to book will be with Alaska Airlines miles, requiring just 55,000 miles for a one-way flight in business between the US and Fiji. You’ll have to shell out 40,000 American miles in economy and 80,000 in business for one-way flights between the US and Fiji. British Airways Avios has favorable rates in economy, charging just 30,000 points one-way (although that may increase soon).
Here’s a breakdown of the different redemptions on Fiji Airways:
|Mileage Program||Coach (one-way)||Business (one-way)|
|Alaska||40,000 miles||55,000 miles|
|American||40,000 miles||80,000 miles|
|British Airways||25,000 Avios (from SFO), 30,000 Avios (from LAX)||75,000 Avios (from SFO), 90,000 Avois (from LAX)|
|Qantas||35,000 points||72,000 points|
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.