Fiji Airways Gets A350, Will Fly to US With New Biz Class Product
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fiji Airways has announced it will be adding two Airbus A350-900s to its fleet later this year. The aircraft will be leased from Dubai-based DAE Capital, and the first flights are expected to commence between Nadi, Fiji, and Australia and the US in late November or December of 2019.
The A350 joins Fiji Airways long-haul fleet of six Airbus A330s. Both of the new jets will be outfitted in a two cabin configuration with 33 business class seats and 301 economy seats.
The aircraft will see an entirely new business class seat, according to the Australian Business Traveller, which reports that the aircraft will get the Collins Aerospace ‘Super Diamond’ seat arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. The Super Diamond was recently selected to be used as British Airways’ new Club World product and is already in service with Virgin Australia, Air Canada and Qatar Airways. This is a huge improvement over Fiji’s current 2-2-2 layout that feature angle flat seats.
Fiji was able to take delivery of the jets in such a short period of time because they are leasing the aircraft, which were originally slated to go to Hong Kong Airlines, which has had a series of recent financial difficulties resulting aircraft order cuts.
Apex reports that both aircraft will come installed with THALES latest IFE system and onboard Wi-Fi.
How to book
Fiji Airways is a Oneworld connect member, so you’ll be able to earn and redeem popular currencies like American Airlines miles, British Airways Avios, Qantas points and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles for flights on the carrier. The airline flies between Nadi and three US destinations: San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX) and Honolulu (HNL).
However the best way to book will be with Alaska Airlines miles, requiring just 55,000 miles for a one-way flight in business between the US and Fiji. You’ll have to shell out 40,000 American miles in economy and 80,000 in business for one-way flights between the US and Fiji. British Airways Avios has favorable rates in economy, charging just 30,000 points one-way (although that may increase soon).
Here’s a breakdown of the different redemptions on Fiji Airways:
|Mileage Program||Coach (one-way)||Business (one-way)|
|Alaska||40,000 miles||55,000 miles|
|American||40,000 miles||80,000 miles|
|British Airways||25,000 Avios (from SFO), 30,000 Avios (from LAX)||75,000 Avios (from SFO), 90,000 Avois (from LAX)|
|Qantas||35,000 points||72,000 points|
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees