Family Kicked off American Airlines Flight After Complaints About Body Odor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A family on vacation in Florida says that they were kicked off their American Airlines flight home to Detroit because fellow passengers were complaining about their body odor.
Yossi and Jennie Adler say they were removed from the flight, along with their 1-year-old daughter, from Miami on Wednesday because passengers told the crew they smelled bad. ABC News reports that airline staff escorted the family off the plane and told them to book another flight after several passengers complained.
“All of a sudden, as soon as they took us off, they closed the gate and then they said, ‘Sorry, sir, some people complained you had body odor and we’re not letting you back on,'” Yossi Adler told local news station WPLG on Thursday. “There’s no body odor that we have. There’s nothing wrong with us,” he added. “I want them to own up to what really happened and to tell me the truth.”
American Airlines told WPLG that it was indeed the couple’s body odor that got them kicked off the flight. “Mr. Adler and his wife were removed from the flight when several passengers complained about their body odor,” the airline told the news channel in a statement. “They have been booked into a hotel for the night and given meal vouchers. They have been rebooked on a flight Thursday.”
Yossi said he believes there was “a religious reason they’re kicking me off the plane,” he said in a video. The Adler family is Jewish.
Jewish family claims kicked off plane due to religion, not body odor complaints https://t.co/4LcJb8ok4i
— The Times of Israel (@TimesofIsrael) January 25, 2019
The family finally made it home to Detroit — along with their luggage. The airline had promised to offload it when the family was booted from the flight, but the bags didn’t arrive until the Adlers were back in Detroit.
Allegedly odorous passengers in the past have not only been denied boarding, but have also caused flights to divert, too. One sick passenger’s “unbearable stench” in June 2018 made his fellow Transavia Airlines passengers vomit and faint in their seats. The plane diverted to a nearby airport to offload the passenger, who it turns out was harboring a fatally ill infection.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.