Family Kicked off American Airlines Flight After Complaints About Body Odor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A family on vacation in Florida says that they were kicked off their American Airlines flight home to Detroit because fellow passengers were complaining about their body odor.
Yossi and Jennie Adler say they were removed from the flight, along with their 1-year-old daughter, from Miami on Wednesday because passengers told the crew they smelled bad. ABC News reports that airline staff escorted the family off the plane and told them to book another flight after several passengers complained.
“All of a sudden, as soon as they took us off, they closed the gate and then they said, ‘Sorry, sir, some people complained you had body odor and we’re not letting you back on,'” Yossi Adler told local news station WPLG on Thursday. “There’s no body odor that we have. There’s nothing wrong with us,” he added. “I want them to own up to what really happened and to tell me the truth.”
American Airlines told WPLG that it was indeed the couple’s body odor that got them kicked off the flight. “Mr. Adler and his wife were removed from the flight when several passengers complained about their body odor,” the airline told the news channel in a statement. “They have been booked into a hotel for the night and given meal vouchers. They have been rebooked on a flight Thursday.”
Yossi said he believes there was “a religious reason they’re kicking me off the plane,” he said in a video. The Adler family is Jewish.
Jewish family claims kicked off plane due to religion, not body odor complaints https://t.co/4LcJb8ok4i
— The Times of Israel (@TimesofIsrael) January 25, 2019
The family finally made it home to Detroit — along with their luggage. The airline had promised to offload it when the family was booted from the flight, but the bags didn’t arrive until the Adlers were back in Detroit.
Allegedly odorous passengers in the past have not only been denied boarding, but have also caused flights to divert, too. One sick passenger’s “unbearable stench” in June 2018 made his fellow Transavia Airlines passengers vomit and faint in their seats. The plane diverted to a nearby airport to offload the passenger, who it turns out was harboring a fatally ill infection.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees