Passenger’s ‘Unbearable Stench’ Forces Transavia Flight to Make Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emergency landings aren’t all too uncommon. But emergency landings due to a passenger’s “unbearable stench” are.
On Tuesday, a Transavia Airlines flight from Las Palmas (LPA) to Amsterdam (AMS) was forced to divert to Faro (FAO) because a passenger sitting in the last row of the plane stunk so badly that other passengers were getting ill. According to Belgian outlet VRT, several passengers on Transavia Flight 5666 became so violently ill that they vomited or fainted in their seats.
When the stench got so bad, flight attendants on the Boeing 737-800 (registration PH-HXE) tried to quarantine the man in one of the rear lavatories. Crew didn’t serve in-flight food or drinks because the odor was so bad. And unfortunately for passengers and crew, not even the isolation eased the putrid smell. As a last resort, pilots decided to divert the aircraft by making an emergency landing in Faro, Portugal — about one hour and 40 minutes after departing Las Palmas, according to flight-tracking website FlightRadar24.
Once the plane landed in Faro, the man was reportedly escorted off and turned over to an awaiting medical team.
“The smell made me think that the man hadn’t washed for weeks,” passenger Piet Van Huat told VRT. “Eventually we landed in Amsterdam with almost three hours delay. Nobody could stand the stench. Everyone tried to cover his nose.”
TPG reached out to Transavia for comment but did not immediately hear back.
This isn’t the first incident of a smelly passenger on a Transavia flight. In February, a Transavia flight between Dubai and Amsterdam was forced to make an emergency landing in Vienna because two passengers reportedly got into an altercation when one wouldn’t stop breaking wind. In May, a United passenger filed a lawsuit against the airline after she was booted from business class when another passenger said that she smelled “pungent.”
Featured image by AFP Contributor / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees