Family Accidentally Books Virgin’s Special New York Pride Party Flight, Has Time of Their Lives
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
June 28 saw WorldPride head to New York City to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots. TPG had their own special float in the parade which was, of course aviation themed. The TPG Boeing 747 “Equality Airlines” featured TPG staff and readers from around the world raising money for the Rainbow Road charity.
To celebrate this special occasion, Virgin Atlantic organised a special one-off flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to New York (JFK) that was packed with as much LGTBQ+ pride as you could fit in one aircraft. Think DJs, drag queens, non-stop celebrations, drag bingo, special cocktails, inflight giveaways, costumes, surprise celebrations and a welcoming committee in New York.
Understandably, since this was the most fabulous way to travel across the pond for WorldPride, the flight was absolutely packed with LGBTQ+ party goers and supporters and sold out in less than 24 hours. Virgin Atlantic invited TPG on this special flight and Contributor Eric Rosen had a fabulous time.
But there were four passengers who had little idea exactly what they had booked – the family of four from the UK with mom Kerry, dad Sean and two small sons, Calum and Cody. The family was unaware of the full extent of the party until they boarded this flying nightclub. Kerry told The Daily Mail that after booking what they thought was a normal flight, Virgin Atlantic contacted them to simply advise them it was ‘a special Pride flight’. They were given the option of moving to another day, but that did not work for their travel plans, so they decided to brave the Pride Flight.
The result? They absolutely loved it.
Adorable footage of the family has emerged showing them certainly standing out amongst the alternative crowd dancing on their seats to Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’. The family reported that they had a “fantastic day. It was brilliant, the kids enjoyed it and the eight hours flew by.”
The flight was crewed entirely by LGBTQ+ pilots and crew, showing the diversity of Virgin Atlantic’s workforce. The flight was such a success that Virgin’s famous founder, Sir Richard Branson, immediately announced it would return next year.
In retrospect, the family lucked out. How could kids not be fully entertained on a flight like this? Flying is probably now ruined for them forever since nothing could compare to this flight … at least until it hits the skies again next year. Just be quick with the booking as next year’s flight will also likely sell out within hours.
Featured image by Matt Crossick/PA Wire.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees