Extend Air Canada elite status through 2023 by spending on your Aeroplan credit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all thought 2022 would be when international travel returned to “how it used to be.” In some ways, international travel has reopened, but it’s not how it used to be in many ways yet. Many borders remain closed, and international testing requirements have kept some travelers at home.
Because of this, Aeroplan sees that many of its members aren’t requalifying for elite status or aren’t enjoying their perks as broadly as intended.
To combat this, Aeroplan (the loyalty program of Air Canada) has a new promotion for its credit cardholders with elite status: retain your elite status via credit card spending. We saw this promotion reported by Live and Let’s Fly this morning.
What counts and doesn’t count toward this offer is a little different from what we are used to, so let’s look at the details.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Promotion to extend Aeroplan status via credit card spending
Those who hold any Aeroplan credit card can extend their current Air Canada elite status level by earning 30,000 points from purchases on their card. The eligible earning period is Jan. 1 to Nov. 30, 2022, meaning any spending you’ve already done on your card this year counts.
Status extended via this promotion applies only to the primary cardmember, and the status will be valid through Dec. 31, 2023. This promotion is available to existing Aeroplan credit card holders and those who open an Aeroplan credit card during the promotion period (through Nov. 30, 2022).
All Aeroplan credit cards are included in the offer, including the Aeroplan Credit Card in the U.S. and various cobranded credit cards in Canada.
Note that you must currently have some level of Aeroplan elite status (25K status and higher) to participate. However, the Aeroplan Credit Card offers various pathways to Aeroplan elite status outside of this promotion:
- New primary cardmembers of the Aeroplan Credit Card get Aeroplan 25K status for the calendar year in which they open their card and the following calendar year.
- If you spend $15,000 or more on purchases in a calendar year, the primary cardmember will earn Aeroplan 25K status through the following calendar year.
- If you spend $50,000 or more on purchases in a calendar year, the primary cardmember will earn an Aeroplan elite status level up benefit.
So, if you have the Aeroplan Credit Card, you may already have Aeroplan elite status (or a path toward earning elite status). However, if you currently have a high-tier of Aeroplan elite status, this promotion may be worth considering.
What spending counts for this promotion?
Everyday spending where you earn only 1 point per dollar will count. However, bonus categories where you earn additional points will also count toward this promotion. As a reminder, the Aeroplan Credit Card earns 3 points per dollar spent at grocery stores, restaurants and delivery services and on spending with Air Canada. You will earn 3 points per dollar toward the promotion for all of those purchases, so you could literally eat your way toward a status extension.
But, you will not earn points toward this promotion from the following: cash advances, balance transfers, convenience checks, fees, interest or payments. Additionally, points transfers and points from sign-up bonuses will not count toward the 30,000 points needed to extend your status with this promotion.
Once you meet the spending requirements, allow up to eight weeks for your Aeroplan status extension to be processed. Additionally, the points earned must be deposited into your Aeroplan account before Nov. 30, 2022, to count toward the promotion. Make sure you check your credit card statement closing date to ensure all spending will be credited in time.
Aeroplan is offering a status extension promotion for members who currently have any status level. You cannot improve your status level during this promotion, though, and you cannot earn status with this promotion if you don’t have any yet.
However, for members with Aeroplan elite status, you can maintain your status through the end of 2023 via credit card spending. If you focus your spending on categories where you earn 3 points per dollar, you could extend your status with as little as $10,000 of credit card spending. Whether this is worth it will be a personal decision, but it’s an interesting promotion for those looking to maintain Air Canada elite status.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.