Air Canada now lets you earn elite status without flying
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Major North American frequent flyer programs make it possible to give your elite qualification a boost without additional travel, including American AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles and United MileagePlus. But earning airline status without any need to step foot on a plane? Among alliance members in North America, that’s an Air Canada exclusive.
As a new component of Air Canada’s relaunched Aeroplan program, the carrier is adding an option called “Everyday Status,” similar to the airline’s limited-time offering from 2020. After meeting the requirements, members will earn entry-level Aeroplan 25K status, including priority check-in, security and boarding, two Maple Leaf Lounge passes, eUpgrade credits, Star Alliance Silver benefits and more.
Generally, 25K status requires 25,000 Status Qualifying Miles or 25 Status Qualifying Segments, plus $3,000 (CAD) in Status Qualifying Dollars. With Everyday Status, members will earn 25K after accruing 100,000 Aeroplan points from any eligible transactions, including base and some bonus points earned from travel, credit card spending and other partnerships, like online shopping portals.
While many transactions are eligible, there are a few that won’t count. They include credit card welcome bonuses, point transfers from other programs (such as American Express Membership Rewards and Marriott Bonvoy) and point purchases or transfers directly through Aeroplan.
It’s also worth noting that members can earn 25K either through Everyday Status or regular accrual. You can’t combine 13 segments and $1,500 (CAD) in spending with 50,000 eligible Aeroplan points and walk away with status, unfortunately — it’s one or the other (or both, I suppose).
Although Aeroplan’s only just beginning to let you track your progress, transactions dating back to Jan. 1, 2021 can help you qualify this year, so you may notice that you’ve already made some progress once those transactions are added to your account by the end of May.
Air Canada recently rolled out another program that lets you earn elite perks without the usual flying requirements. Status Pass, which is available for Aeroplan 50K, 75K and Super Elite members, lets you share your perks with another flyer, even when you aren’t traveling together.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees