Air Canada’s new Status Pass lets you gift elite benefits to a friend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back when Air Canada detailed new benefits of the carrier’s relaunched Aeroplan program, there was a brief mention of an upcoming perk that lets elite members share their benefits with friends or family members, called Status Pass.
As of this week, Status Pass is now live, and works exactly as promised. Select Aeroplan elites will be able to choose Status Pass as one of their Select Benefits. 50K members will be able to select two passes to share, 75Ks can get three and Super Elites can get a total of four.
Super Elite members also receive two passes automatically each year, and for 2021, Air Canada is issuing one pass to all Aeroplan 50K and 75K members, and two for each Super Elite. Those should appear within eligible accounts over the next week.
If you’ve already received your status passes, you can share them right away. Your recipient should receive a notification when they pull up their reservation on Air Canada’s website, along with a link to the full list of bundled perks.
Once you offer up a Status Pass, your friend or family member will receive the following benefits:
- Priority check-in
- 3 checked bags, including priority handling
- Priority security screening
- Maple Leaf Lounge access
- Priority airport standby
- Priority boarding
Each Status Pass covers an entire Air Canada reservation, including award flights, for up to nine travel companions booked together. You can gift the perks to anyone you like — they don’t need to be traveling with you to take advantage.
You can choose to recall an unused status pass at least six hours prior to travel, and have it automatically returned to your account. Similarly, if the recipient cancels their trip, you’ll get the pass back, as long as the ticket hasn’t been partially used.
Note that Status Pass does not include Star Alliance Gold perks — the benefits will only apply to Air Canada flights. Additionally, some elite benefits like premium seat selection and mileage bonuses aren’t part of the deal.
Air Canada’s latest offering is unique among airlines, but World of Hyatt offers a similar perk for hotels. Top-tier Globalist members can gift their perks through the chain’s “Guest of Honor” program, though that requires the elite member to redeem their own points for the booking.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.