Start here: TPG details Air Canada’s sweeping Aeroplan changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tuesday morning, Air Canada unveiled significant changes to its Aeroplan program — some redemptions will require more points, but the airline has largely added value to the program, at a time when many others are taking it away.
The new Aeroplan will appeal to a broad range of travelers, too — you can easily take advantage of redemptions and new perks, like Family Sharing and earning Everyday Status without being a frequent Air Canada flyer.
That’s because Aeroplan partners with a handful of transferrable-points programs, so there’s a good chance you already have a way to easily earn Aeroplan points. Points from Amex’s Membership Rewards program transfer instantly at a 1:1 ratio, for example, and you can also boost your balance via Marriott Bonvoy and Capital One.
While we’d normally share program updates in a post or two, there’s so much to cover here that we’re breaking things up, in order to dive into certain elements with the level of detail you’ve come to expect from TPG. Be sure to bookmark this page, and check back for a closer look throughout the day and week.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The new Air Canada Aeroplan is loaded with exciting new features that make it one of the best loyalty programs in the business. Read more.
Although the airline is maintaining the “Aeroplan” brand, there’s a lot of change on the way. Read more.
Benefits include priority check-in, security and boarding, two Maple Leaf Lounge passes, eUpgrade credits, Star Alliance Silver benefits and more. Read more.
Though the prices have changed, Aeroplan’s committed to keeping award charts around — and being honest and upfront about pricing. Read more.
While the cost of some awards has increased, the removal of high fuel surcharges and the addition of flexible stopovers makes Aeroplan points more versatile than ever before.
A brand-new addition to Air Canada’s loyalty program, Aeroplan Family Sharing allows members to more seamlessly earn and redeem points as a cohort.
You can easily add in a side trip on the way to your final destination, and on the way back as well.
On the surface, a price jump would spell bad news — fortunately, that’s not necessarily the case here.
From transferrable points to non-travel partners, there are a ton of different ways to earn Aeroplan miles on your everyday purchases.
Buried amidst a transformed Aeroplan is the relaunch of the airline’s new co-branded credit cards, also launching in Nov. 2020.
In order to earn the bonus, you have to register to become a member and earn one mile by Sept. 30.
Worried that you’ll get less value from your rewards after the new program launches in November? There’s still time to book before the changes kick in.
We help prepare you to snag new sweet spots (or look elsewhere) in order to make the most of your rewards.
Featured photo courtesy of Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees