Plan Your European Train Trip This Summer With Eurail’s New App and Discounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Train stations are usually centrally located in major cities, and thus easier to reach than airports, and you rarely have to worry about baggage limits or slogging through security. Best of all, you can actually enjoy the scenery, whether you’re whizzing across the French countryside or chugging through the Swiss Alps. And now Eurail, the company that made it easy to design an entire journey through Europe by train, is celebrating its 60th anniversary by releasing new app features and discounts.
Eurail’s Rail Planner app (admittedly not the most eloquent name) has a new look and easy-to-navigate interface. With the “Trip Planner” feature, you can now search train routes and only be shown trains that accept the Eurail pass. Once you find the route you want, you can save it to the new “My Trip” feature, which organizes your trip as a day-by-day itinerary. You can also map out your trip, making it easy to visualize the routes you’re taking.
Plus, the app now tells you if an additional reservation is needed. For trains in France, Italy, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, the app makes it easy to book a seat in advance and receive a confirmation by email.
Earlier this year, Eurail underwent a revamp that included simplified passes, the addition of three new countries — Great Britain, Macedonia and Lithuania — new rules and more discounts. Now, you can choose a One Country Pass or a Global Pass that gives you access to train routes in 31 countries.
There are even ferries, accommodations and attractions that offer discounts to Eurail pass holders, and the updated app makes it easy to search by country and see where you can save by showing your pass or pre-ordering online. In Italy, for example, you can get 10% off the rates at Generator Hostels and 20% off fares on SNAV ferries, which go to Capri, Ischia and Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast as well as the Eolian Islands off the coast of Sicily.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.