Ethiopian Airlines Cancels LAX-ADD Route, Axing Fifth Freedom Dublin Stop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ethiopian Airlines is terminating its 4x weekly service between Los Angeles and Addis Ababa, first launched in June 2015. The last flight will depart on December 14.
The LAX-ADD route is best known amongst AvGeeks for its stop in Dublin with pick-up privileges, which allows passengers to travel between California and Ireland on one of TPG‘s favorite fifth freedom routes (No. 8 on this list). The unique transatlantic Dreamliner route was a popular option for traveling in lie-flat business class on a Star Alliance partner. The airline still operates three routes with US destinations: Chicago, Newark and Washington Dulles. However, none of these routes offer fifth freedom privileges, since the Washington Dulles route stops in Dublin to refuel but does not allow the airline to pick up or drop off passengers who are not continuing on to Ethiopia.
Despite the route cancellation, Ethiopian Airlines is still going strong, choosing instead to focus its attention on expanding coverage to other destinations. Beginning December 11, the airline will increase its route frequency to 6x weekly between Addis Ababa (ADD) and Oslo (OSL). And on Nov. 2, Ethiopian Airlines will fly in to Mogadishu, Somalia, reviving a route that has been dormant for more than 40 years. Ethiopia terminated its Somalia routes in the late 1970s during the country’s civil unrest, and Somalia lost its United Nations airspace rights altogether for nearly 30 years after the government collapsed in 1991.
Featured photo courtesy of Planespotters.net.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees