This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers originating in New York will soon have one more nonstop option to Africa. Beginning later this year, Ethiopian Airlines will begin operating a new route from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (ABJ).
Ethiopian Airlines has received pick-up rights in ABJ, meaning it can drop off and pick up passengers in the city. When the route launches on May 10, 2018, passengers will be able to use the route to travel nonstop between NYC and Ivory Coast — with the option to continue on to the capital of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. The 3x weekly weekly service will be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET512 Addis Ababa (ADD) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:45am Arrival
- ET512 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:45pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 7:15pm Arrival
- ET513 Newark (EWR) 9:15pm Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:15am (+1) Arrival
- ET513 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 9:30pm Arrival
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the EWR-ABJ-ADD route, offers two cabins: economy or Cloud Nine (business). The 24-seat business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! 🌹 Full reviews to come
Ethiopian already flies between Newark (EWR) and Addis Ababa (ADD) with a stop in Lomé, Togo (LFW). In order to accommodate the new 3x weekly service via ABJ, the Lomé route will be reduced to 4x weekly service, down from 5x weekly operations.
If you’re looking to book the EWR-ABJ leg, there’s plenty of availability in both business and economy. Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the 10-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy.
This is a great option for travelers originating in New York looking to get to Africa. Now, travelers have the option of transiting via Lomé or Abidjan on their way to Addis Ababa, with the option to stop in either on the way. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees