Ethiopian to Offer Nonstop Dreamliner Service Between Newark and Ivory Coast
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers originating in New York will soon have one more nonstop option to Africa. Beginning later this year, Ethiopian Airlines will begin operating a new route from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (ABJ).
Ethiopian Airlines has received pick-up rights in ABJ, meaning it can drop off and pick up passengers in the city. When the route launches on May 10, 2018, passengers will be able to use the route to travel nonstop between NYC and Ivory Coast — with the option to continue on to the capital of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. The 3x weekly weekly service will be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET512 Addis Ababa (ADD) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:45am Arrival
- ET512 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:45pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 7:15pm Arrival
- ET513 Newark (EWR) 9:15pm Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:15am (+1) Arrival
- ET513 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 9:30pm Arrival
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the EWR-ABJ-ADD route, offers two cabins: economy or Cloud Nine (business). The 24-seat business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! ? Full reviews to come
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@thepointsguy) on
Ethiopian already flies between Newark (EWR) and Addis Ababa (ADD) with a stop in Lomé, Togo (LFW). In order to accommodate the new 3x weekly service via ABJ, the Lomé route will be reduced to 4x weekly service, down from 5x weekly operations.
If you’re looking to book the EWR-ABJ leg, there’s plenty of availability in both business and economy. Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the 10-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy.
This is a great option for travelers originating in New York looking to get to Africa. Now, travelers have the option of transiting via Lomé or Abidjan on their way to Addis Ababa, with the option to stop in either on the way. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees