Ethiopian to Offer Nonstop Dreamliner Service Between Newark and Ivory Coast
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers originating in New York will soon have one more nonstop option to Africa. Beginning later this year, Ethiopian Airlines will begin operating a new route from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (ABJ).
Ethiopian Airlines has received pick-up rights in ABJ, meaning it can drop off and pick up passengers in the city. When the route launches on May 10, 2018, passengers will be able to use the route to travel nonstop between NYC and Ivory Coast — with the option to continue on to the capital of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. The 3x weekly weekly service will be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET512 Addis Ababa (ADD) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:45am Arrival
- ET512 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:45pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 7:15pm Arrival
- ET513 Newark (EWR) 9:15pm Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:15am (+1) Arrival
- ET513 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 9:30pm Arrival
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the EWR-ABJ-ADD route, offers two cabins: economy or Cloud Nine (business). The 24-seat business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! 🌹 Full reviews to come
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@thepointsguy) on
Ethiopian already flies between Newark (EWR) and Addis Ababa (ADD) with a stop in Lomé, Togo (LFW). In order to accommodate the new 3x weekly service via ABJ, the Lomé route will be reduced to 4x weekly service, down from 5x weekly operations.
If you’re looking to book the EWR-ABJ leg, there’s plenty of availability in both business and economy. Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the 10-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy.
This is a great option for travelers originating in New York looking to get to Africa. Now, travelers have the option of transiting via Lomé or Abidjan on their way to Addis Ababa, with the option to stop in either on the way. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.