This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers originating in New York will soon have one more nonstop option to Africa. Beginning later this year, Ethiopian Airlines will begin operating a new route from Newark (EWR) to Addis Ababa (ADD) via Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (ABJ).
Ethiopian Airlines has received pick-up rights in ABJ, meaning it can drop off and pick up passengers in the city. When the route launches on May 10, 2018, passengers will be able to use the route to travel nonstop between NYC and Ivory Coast — with the option to continue on to the capital of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. The 3x weekly weekly service will be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners on the following schedule:
- ET512 Addis Ababa (ADD) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:45am Arrival
- ET512 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:45pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 7:15pm Arrival
- ET513 Newark (EWR) 9:15pm Departure ⇒ Abidjan (ABJ) 11:15am (+1) Arrival
- ET513 Abidjan (ABJ) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Addis Ababa (ADD) 9:30pm Arrival
Ethiopian’s 787, which it will fly on the EWR-ABJ-ADD route, offers two cabins: economy or Cloud Nine (business). The 24-seat business-class cabin offers 24 seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. The seats are a bit outdated and aren’t quite fully flat — they’re only angle-flat at 170 degrees. In economy, you’ll find 246 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat offering 33 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
This week I flew Accra – Addis Ababa – Kilimanjaro on @ethiopianairlines and was blown away by the food and service. The 787 biz class seat is dated, but overall a great way to travel around Africa. I mean- they even have out roses to everyone in business on the 2 hour Addis- Kilimanjaro flight today! 🌹 Full reviews to come
Ethiopian already flies between Newark (EWR) and Addis Ababa (ADD) with a stop in Lomé, Togo (LFW). In order to accommodate the new 3x weekly service via ABJ, the Lomé route will be reduced to 4x weekly service, down from 5x weekly operations.
If you’re looking to book the EWR-ABJ leg, there’s plenty of availability in both business and economy. Ethiopian is a member of Star Alliance, so check on award availability through its partner, United. You can fly on the 10-hour route for 80,000 United MileagePlus miles + taxes and fees one-way in business, or 40,000 miles one-way in economy.
This is a great option for travelers originating in New York looking to get to Africa. Now, travelers have the option of transiting via Lomé or Abidjan on their way to Addis Ababa, with the option to stop in either on the way. Ethiopian also offers other fifth-freedom routes such as these, continuing on to ADD. For example, the carrier flies from Los Angeles (LAX) to ADD via Dublin (DUB).
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees