You can now cruise from the Arctic to Antarctica on this over-the-top new voyage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It may be the coolest cruise ever. Both figuratively and literally.
Adventure cruise specialist Hurtigruten on Tuesday unveiled plans for an epic “pole-to-pole” voyage from the Arctic to Antarctica that will take in some of the world’s most spectacular — and chilly — polar regions.
Kicking off in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Aug. 8, 2022, the 93-day sailing will include a relatively rare complete crossing of the Northwest Passage, the fabled Arctic route between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans first traversed in 1903 by Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
It’ll also include stops in the rarely visited Aleutian Islands along the Alaskan Peninsula; deserted St. Matthew Island, the most isolated place in Alaska; Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic; and ice-capped Greenland.
And that’s just for the initial Arctic portion of the voyage. The ship eventually will make its way south to Antarctica for an exploration of the world’s southernmost continent, also explored by Amundsen (the first person to reach the geographic South Pole, in 1911).
Dubbed the “Pole to Pole Adventure: The Ultimate Bucket List Expedition Cruise – In the wake of polar hero Roald Amundsen,” the trip will, appropriately enough, take place on Hurtigruten’s 2-year-old, 530-passenger expedition ship named Roald Amundsen.
During its passage between the Arctic and Antarctica, the ship will stop at more than two dozen destinations along the East Coast of Canada and New England; the East Coast of Central America and the West Coast of South America.
Port calls will include Belize City, Belize; Colon, Panama; Manta, Ecuador; Lima, Peru; and La Serena, Chile.
As part of the passage southward, the vessel will make a complete passage through the Panama Canal. The trip ends in Ushuaia, Argentina.
In all, the trip will include visits to 11 countries. Fares start at $64,581 per person.
Hurtigruten on Tuesday also announced plans for a shorter, 66-day “pole-to-pole” adventure kicking off Sept. 22, 2022. This second sailing will take place on the line’s 500-passenger Fram.
The voyage will include stops in the Canadian Arctic, Greenland, Caribbean, South America and Antarctica and also a passage through the Panama Canal.
Fares for the trip start at $50,143 per person.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of Hurtigruten.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.