Emirates, Etihad to stop flying entirely following UAE ban
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/24/20: The United Arab Emirates has now suspended flights effective immediately, however aircraft currently outside the UAE will be permitted to fly as scheduled.
On Sunday, in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, Emirates announced the suspension of most flights, trimming its operations to a small number of destinations around the world. Now, even reduced service won’t be possible, following a new government ruling to suspend flights entirely.
In one of the most drastic COVID-19 containment measures we’ve seen to date, the United Arab Emirates has ordered a temporary air service suspension, both for foreign carriers operating service to the UAE, and those based within the country as well, including Emirates, Etihad and Flydubai.
According to a statement from Emirates:
As per the UAE government’s directive, Emirates will temporarily suspend all passenger services for two weeks starting from March 25, 2020. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused to our customers and travelers. These measures are in place to contain the spread of COVID-19, and we hope to resume services as soon as feasible.
The temporary flight ban is currently scheduled to last two weeks, but there’s always a chance it could be extended, in an effort to contain the outbreak. Note that the UAE is currently enforcing a visitor ban, though it is possible to transit Abu Dhabi (AUH) and Dubai (DXB) until service is discontinued this Wednesday, March 25.
If your travel is impacted, you may not need to contact the airline at this time — and, due to extraordinary wait times, it might not even be possible to get through. Typically, airlines are offering waived rebooking fees and other exceptions — while we’ve rounded up a number of policies here, the situation is evolving quickly, so be sure to check your airline’s website for more information.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees