Emirates suspends flights to Fort Lauderdale, base of partner JetBlue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates Airline is indefinitely suspending service to Fort Lauderdale amid the drop in international travel during the coronavirus pandemic.
The carrier has pulled all flights to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) through at least July 2021, according to Cirium schedules. The South Florida airport is the only one of Emirates’ 12 U.S. destinations where flights are not scheduled to resume this fall.
Emirates spokesperson Nick Schweers told TPG that the airline hopes to “restart our operations when it is commercially and operationally feasible to do so.” He did not provide a timeline.
With a business reliant entirely on international travel, Dubai-based Emirates has been hit hard by the myriad of travel restrictions in nearly every country around the world. The carrier only plans to fly about 20% of what it flew in 2019 during August, Cirium data shows.
Emirates has resumed U.S. flights to Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Washington Dulles (IAD) after suspending all flights in March. Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) will join the list on Aug. 23.
Service to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Newark (EWR), Orlando (MCO), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA) remains suspended and the carrier has not given a firm schedule on when flights in those cities might resume.
Fort Lauderdale is a focus city for Emirates’ partner JetBlue Airways. Emirates flyers could connect to JetBlue flights to 39 cities over the South Florida airport and vice versa for JetBlue travelers, according to Cirium.
Emirates and JetBlue continue to connect flyers to each others flights in Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and New York JFK.
Airline Route first reported the suspension of Emirates’ Fort Lauderdale route.
Featured image by InsectWorld /Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees