Emirates suspends flights to Fort Lauderdale, base of partner JetBlue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates Airline is indefinitely suspending service to Fort Lauderdale amid the drop in international travel during the coronavirus pandemic.
The carrier has pulled all flights to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) through at least July 2021, according to Cirium schedules. The South Florida airport is the only one of Emirates’ 12 U.S. destinations where flights are not scheduled to resume this fall.
Emirates spokesperson Nick Schweers told TPG that the airline hopes to “restart our operations when it is commercially and operationally feasible to do so.” He did not provide a timeline.
With a business reliant entirely on international travel, Dubai-based Emirates has been hit hard by the myriad of travel restrictions in nearly every country around the world. The carrier only plans to fly about 20% of what it flew in 2019 during August, Cirium data shows.
Emirates has resumed U.S. flights to Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Washington Dulles (IAD) after suspending all flights in March. Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) will join the list on Aug. 23.
Service to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Newark (EWR), Orlando (MCO), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA) remains suspended and the carrier has not given a firm schedule on when flights in those cities might resume.
Fort Lauderdale is a focus city for Emirates’ partner JetBlue Airways. Emirates flyers could connect to JetBlue flights to 39 cities over the South Florida airport and vice versa for JetBlue travelers, according to Cirium.
Emirates and JetBlue continue to connect flyers to each others flights in Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and New York JFK.
Airline Route first reported the suspension of Emirates’ Fort Lauderdale route.
Featured image by InsectWorld /Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.