El Al To Launch Nonstop Flights from Tel Aviv to Chicago in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
El Al is set to continue its North American expansion in 2020 when the airline launches nonstop flights between Tel Aviv (TLV) and Chicago’s O-Hare (ORD) airport. While details are still very limited, Israeli business publication Globes has confirmed the new service.
This isn’t the first time El Al has served the area. The airline ended service in 2007, leaving the city without a direct connection to Israel. With an estimated 291,000 Jewish residents, Chicago boasts a larger Jewish population than most Israeli cities. Chicago also boasts one of the largest economies in the United States. Now, after a 13-year drought, nonstop flights to Israel will finally return to Chicago.
The service will be made possible by El Al’s growing fleet of modern widebody aircraft. The airline has already received eight of 16 Boeing 787s ordered, with an additional four Boeing 787-9s and four Boeing 787-8s yet to be delivered. The larger Boeing 787s, the 787-9, will allow the airline to not only expand but also retire El Al’s remaining four Boeing 747s.
In recent years, El Al has added nonstop flights from Tel Aviv to Miami (MIA) and announced new service to Las Vegas (LAS) and Orlando (MCO). The Boeing 787 has played an integral role in El Al’s recent expansion thanks to the aircraft’s fuel efficiency.
While El Al has yet to confirm what aircraft type will be used on its new Chicago flights, Globes has alluded to the Boeing 787 as the preferred aircraft for the route. With just six Boeing 777-200 aircraft serving cities like New York and Beijing, the 787 would appear to be the strongest contender for the airline’s new Chicago service. El Al’s Boeing 787s feature the airline’s newest and most modern cabins, with lie-flat seats in business class and Wi-Fi available to all passengers at no cost.
El Al is not a member of any major airline alliance, however, maintains codeshare flights with a variety of major carriers including JetBlue and American. If you’re looking to use points or miles for El Al’s new service, your only option for the time being is transferring American Express Membership Rewards points to El Al’s Matmid frequent flyer program. The current transfer ratio isn’t very appealing, with 1,000 MR points equal to a mere 20 Matmid points. That means a business class award redemption will cost you 200,000 Membership Rewards points.
El Al’s Chicago flights are not yet available for purchase as a date has not been set for the first flights.
H/T: Dan’s Deals
Image by Emily McNutt / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees