El Al’s First 787 Dreamliner With Free Viasat Wi-Fi Launches Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Israel’s flag carrier, El Al, has come a very long way in recent months, thanks in no small part to the introduction of Boeing’s 787-9 Dreamliner, which offers a product far superior to the airline’s dated 747, 767 and 777 fleet.
TPG‘s Emily McNutt reviewed business class on the inaugural flight, and enjoyed the experience overall. Unfortunately there wasn’t any Wi-Fi onboard, however, which can make it challenging to be productive on the nearly 9.5-hour flight from the East Coast to Tel Aviv (TLV).
That changed today, as confirmed by El Al’s social media accounts:
El Al’s Wi-Fi-equipped 787s will connect to the KA-SAT satellite on flights to/from Europe, and then it’ll jump over to the new super-fast Viasat-2 on flights across the Atlantic, once that satellite comes online later this summer or in early fall. Passengers shouldn’t notice much of a difference, though — both satellites should offer a similar experience, with high-speed browsing available throughout the flight.
A Viasat representative sent over pricing details from today’s “inaugural” to Paris, which apparently currently has 128 devices connected to the internet and is holding up just fine. Basic browsing, including support for instant messaging, email and more is available free of charge on tablets and smartphones, just as it is with Viasat’s service on JetBlue.
A mobile device plan with web browsing and short video streaming is available for $10 on the Tel Aviv-Paris route, while unrestricted laptop usage will run you $20 on the same route. Pricing details have not yet been released for the airline’s flights to the US.
El Al currently operates its 787-9s on flights from Tel Aviv to New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR) in the US, in addition to Hong Kong (HKG) and Paris (CDG). Come October 28, the carrier will also fly Dreamliners to Los Angeles (LAX), with Miami (MIA) service launching the next day.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees