El Al Will Fly Its Newest Dreamliner to America Later This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just as United and KLM are going large with extended-length 787-10 Dreamliners, El Al is preparing to launch a number of Boeing’s smallest 787-8s later this year. Per Routes Online, the airline recently filed operational plans for late 2019 and early 2020, suggesting that it will fly the 787-8 between its home in Tel Aviv (TLV) to Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Mumbai (BOM), Paris (CDG), San Francisco (SFO) and Toronto (YYZ).
To get a bead on the differences between the three primary variants of the Dreamliner, we’ve compiled a guide comparing the 787-8, 787-9 and 787-10 by the numbers. El Al already has 8 787-9 planes in operation, with 282 total seats split between business class (32), premium economy (28) and economy (222).
While the carrier has yet to showcase the seating configuration for its smaller 787-8, we anticipate that the same refreshed business class product found on the 787-9 will be used — a huge upgrade over El Al’s outgoing seat in the forward cabin.
Here’s a look at El Al’s first 787-8 routes, all of which appear to be bookable via the carrier’s online reservation portal.
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Boston (BOS) — starting Dec. 15, 2019
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Chicago (ORD) — starting March 22, 2020
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Mumbai (BOM) — starting April 2, 2020
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Paris (CDG) — starting Dec. 16, 2019
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-San Francisco (SFO) — starting March 30, 2020
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Toronto (YYZ) — starting Nov. 17, 2019
Cash rates for these flights are pricing out in the typical $4,000 to $6,000 window one-way. You can redeem miles for El Al flights is through its Matmid program, and it isn’t known for being all that rewarding. Amex Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Matmid at a sub-par transfer rate of 1,000 Membership Rewards to 20 Matmid points. Redemptions from the US start at 900 Matmid points (45,000 Membership Rewards points) one-way for economy, 1,400 (70,000 Membership Rewards points) for premium economy and a whopping 2,000 (100,000 Membership Rewards points) for business.
While you can go that route, we recommend using Qantas, which allows award bookings on El Al. If you’re looking to boost your Qantas Frequent Flyer balance, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card currently offers 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Emily McNutt/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees