El Al Will Fly Its Newest Dreamliner to America Later This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just as United and KLM are going large with extended-length 787-10 Dreamliners, El Al is preparing to launch a number of Boeing’s smallest 787-8s later this year. Per Routes Online, the airline recently filed operational plans for late 2019 and early 2020, suggesting that it will fly the 787-8 between its home in Tel Aviv (TLV) to Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Mumbai (BOM), Paris (CDG), San Francisco (SFO) and Toronto (YYZ).
To get a bead on the differences between the three primary variants of the Dreamliner, we’ve compiled a guide comparing the 787-8, 787-9 and 787-10 by the numbers. El Al already has 8 787-9 planes in operation, with 282 total seats split between business class (32), premium economy (28) and economy (222).
While the carrier has yet to showcase the seating configuration for its smaller 787-8, we anticipate that the same refreshed business class product found on the 787-9 will be used — a huge upgrade over El Al’s outgoing seat in the forward cabin.
Here’s a look at El Al’s first 787-8 routes, all of which appear to be bookable via the carrier’s online reservation portal.
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Boston (BOS) — starting Dec. 15, 2019
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Chicago (ORD) — starting March 22, 2020
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Mumbai (BOM) — starting April 2, 2020
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Paris (CDG) — starting Dec. 16, 2019
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-San Francisco (SFO) — starting March 30, 2020
- Tel Aviv (TLV)-Toronto (YYZ) — starting Nov. 17, 2019
Cash rates for these flights are pricing out in the typical $4,000 to $6,000 window one-way. You can redeem miles for El Al flights is through its Matmid program, and it isn’t known for being all that rewarding. Amex Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Matmid at a sub-par transfer rate of 1,000 Membership Rewards to 20 Matmid points. Redemptions from the US start at 900 Matmid points (45,000 Membership Rewards points) one-way for economy, 1,400 (70,000 Membership Rewards points) for premium economy and a whopping 2,000 (100,000 Membership Rewards points) for business.
While you can go that route, we recommend using Qantas, which allows award bookings on El Al. If you’re looking to boost your Qantas Frequent Flyer balance, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card currently offers 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Emily McNutt/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.