You can now refer your friends to any Chase Freedom card
TPG-Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor's note: This post was originally published on Jan 1, 2020. It has been updated to reflect the expansion of Freedom-family referrals.
If you're trying to top off your points balance in the New Year for your dream redemption, you're probably thinking about opening a new credit card, putting a big purchase on a card or maximizing bonus categories. But one often overlooked method you should consider is referrals. It's an easy way to earn points by referring friends and family to credit cards when they click on and apply for your refer-a-friend link.
Chase offers a referral bonus across many of its cards. There’s even a dedicated refer-a-friend page on the issuer’s website that lists the cards that offer referral bonuses. If you currently carry any of the applicable cards in your wallet, simply click on the “Invite friends now” icon, enter your last name, ZIP code and last four digits of your card. You can then share your personalized link or distribute it via email, Facebook or Twitter.
Related: How to Refer Friends and Earn Points, Miles or Cash Credits
Normally you can only refer a friend to a credit card that you currently have. American Express bucked this trend a while back by allowing you to refer friends to cards in a different product family, including ones you don't currently have. Now, Chase has made a similar expansion to its program for Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) and Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders, allowing you to refer a friend from either member of the Freedom family to either member of the Freedom family. This means that if you have a Chase Freedom but your friend wants a Freedom Unlimited, you can still earn a referral bonus if they sign up using your link.
The bonus currently sits at $100 per referral (up to $500 per year), but if you also have a card that earns full Ultimate Rewards points — like the Chase Sapphire Reserve — you can convert that cash-back bonus into 10,000 Ultimate Rewards points instead.
Note that the two Freedom cards aren't the only ones from Chase to offer referral bonuses. Here's a full list of current offers for existing cardholders when a friend or family member is approved through your referral link:
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: 20,000 points for each referral (up to 100,000 points per year)
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card: $150 cash back for each referral (up to $750 cash back per year)
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: $100 cash back for each referral (up to $500 cash back per year)
- Chase Freedom: $100 cash back for each referral (up to $500 cash back per year)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 15,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 75,000 points per year)
- Any Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card: 10,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 50,000 points per year)
- United Explorer Card: 10,000 miles for each referral (up to 50,000 miles per year)
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card: 40,000 points for each referral (up to 200,000 points per year)
- World of Hyatt Credit Card: 5,000 points per referral (up to 25,000 points per year)
- Disney Premier Visa Card: 100 Disney Rewards Dollars for each approval (up to 500 Disney Rewards Dollars per year)
The information for the Disney Premier Visa, Chase Freedom has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Earning welcome bonuses, spending at merchants with category bonuses and putting your everyday purchases on credit cards aren't the only ways to earn points and miles. Heading into 2020, you can rack up thousands of points just by sharing your referral link to friends and family to get them started in the points and miles game, too. And now, if you hold either the Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited, your loved ones can select either card without impacting your eligibility for a referral bonus.
Additional reporting by Victoria Walker.