You can now refer your friends to any Chase Freedom card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published on Jan 1, 2020. It has been updated to reflect the expansion of Freedom-family referrals.
If you’re trying to top off your points balance in the New Year for your dream redemption, you’re probably thinking about opening a new credit card, putting a big purchase on a card or maximizing bonus categories. But one often overlooked method you should consider is referrals. It’s an easy way to earn points by referring friends and family to credit cards when they click on and apply for your refer-a-friend link.
Chase offers a referral bonus across many of its cards. There’s even a dedicated refer-a-friend page on the issuer’s website that lists the cards that offer referral bonuses. If you currently carry any of the applicable cards in your wallet, simply click on the “Invite friends now” icon, enter your last name, ZIP code and last four digits of your card. You can then share your personalized link or distribute it via email, Facebook or Twitter.
Normally you can only refer a friend to a credit card that you currently have. American Express bucked this trend a while back by allowing you to refer friends to cards in a different product family, including ones you don’t currently have. Now, Chase has made a similar expansion to its program for Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) and Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders, allowing you to refer a friend from either member of the Freedom family to either member of the Freedom family. This means that if you have a Chase Freedom but your friend wants a Freedom Unlimited, you can still earn a referral bonus if they sign up using your link.
The bonus currently sits at $100 per referral (up to $500 per year), but if you also have a card that earns full Ultimate Rewards points — like the Chase Sapphire Reserve — you can convert that cash-back bonus into 10,000 Ultimate Rewards points instead.
Note that the two Freedom cards aren’t the only ones from Chase to offer referral bonuses. Here’s a full list of current offers for existing cardholders when a friend or family member is approved through your referral link:
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: 20,000 points for each referral (up to 100,000 points per year)
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card: $150 cash back for each referral (up to $750 cash back per year)
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: $100 cash back for each referral (up to $500 cash back per year)
- Chase Freedom: $100 cash back for each referral (up to $500 cash back per year)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 15,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 75,000 points per year)
- Any Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card: 10,000 bonus points for each referral (up to 50,000 points per year)
- United Explorer Card: 10,000 miles for each referral (up to 50,000 miles per year)
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card: 20,000 points for each referral (up to 100,000 points per year)
- World of Hyatt Credit Card: 5,000 points per referral (up to 25,000 points per year)
- Disney Premier Visa Card: 100 Disney Rewards Dollars for each approval (up to 500 Disney Rewards Dollars per year)
The information for the Disney Premier Visa, Chase Freedom has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Earning welcome bonuses, spending at merchants with category bonuses and putting your everyday purchases on credit cards aren’t the only ways to earn points and miles. Heading into 2020, you can rack up thousands of points just by sharing your referral link to friends and family to get them started in the points and miles game, too. And now, if you hold either the Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited, your loved ones can select either card without impacting your eligibility for a referral bonus.
Additional reporting by Victoria Walker.
Featured photo by Riley Arthur for The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.