Quick Points: Earn airline miles on your Airbnb and Vrbo stays
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Although we cover loyalty programs and credit cards in-depth on TPG every day, sometimes you want a snippet of helpful information that you can put into action on the fly. That's why we launched the series Quick Points. Every week, we'll highlight a new or easily forgotten tip that can help you travel more for less.
Vacation rentals appeal to many travelers, ranging from families who want more space and people on extended vacations to those who want a more local experience. One downside of booking lodging through a program like Airbnb or Vrbo instead of a hotel loyalty program is that you won't earn hotel points on your stay. However, you can earn airline miles from a handful of programs if you click through their site when booking.
Sign up for TPG's daily newsletter for more news delivered each morning to your inbox.
Earning miles on vacation rentals
Similar to how you can earn bonus points, miles or cash-back rewards when you click through an online shopping portal and then make an eligible purchase, you can earn miles on Airbnb and Vrbo bookings via several airline loyalty programs:
- ANA Mileage Club miles: Earn 1 mile for every 200 yen ($1.76) spent on Airbnb accommodation. First-time Airbnb users will get a 3,000 yen (about $26) coupon for Airbnb accommodation and earn 2 miles for every 200 yen ($1.76) spent on housing. Click here to earn ANA miles.
- British Airways Avios: Earn 2 Avios per $1 spent on Airbnb accommodations and 3 Avios per $1 spent on Airbnb Experiences. First-time Airbnb users will earn 6 Avios per $1 spent on accommodations. Click here to earn Avios.
- Delta SkyMiles: Earn 1 mile for every $1 spent with Airbnb on qualifying stays. Click here to earn SkyMiles.
- Qantas points: Earn 1 mile for every AU $1 ($0.72) spent with Airbnb on qualifying stays. First-time Airbnb users will earn 500 bonus Qantas points on their first booking. Click here to earn Qantas points.
- United MileagePlus miles: Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent with Vrbo on vacation rentals. Click here to earn United miles.
So, before making your next vacation rental booking, consider clicking through one of these programs. The first-time booking offers from some programs are appealing. But, even if you have used Airbnb (or Vrbo, in the case of United) before, you'd get a 1.48% return if you earn Delta miles, a 3% return if you earn British Airways Avios and a 3.39% return if you earn United miles based on TPG valuations.
Unlike when you might choose to earn airline miles on hotel stays, you're not giving up anything by clicking through one of the above sites before booking. But, note that you might not earn airline miles on taxes and fees associated with your booking. And in some cases, such as if you want to earn Qantas points, you'll only earn points if the name on the Airbnb account exactly matches the name on the airline loyalty account.
Know that it may sometimes take months for the miles to hit your account, so earning airline miles through Airbnb and Vrbo bookings isn't an effective way to extend the expiration date on your miles unless you plan well in advance. Finally, especially if you're booking through Vrbo, it may be worth checking a shopping portal aggregator like Cashback Monitor to see if there's a better-earning portal you should use instead.
Of course, the airline miles you earn by clicking through one of the above sites before booking is on top of any credit card rewards you'd earn when you pay for your stay. So, when paying for your Airbnb or Vrbo, you'll want to use one of the best credit cards for home rentals.
The new Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a compelling option for home rentals since it earns at least 2 miles per dollar spent on all purchases. Plus, the Venture X currently offers a statement credit for up to $200 for qualifying vacation rental purchases charged to your account within your first year as a cardholder. General travel cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve and Ink Business Preferred Credit Card that earn bonus rewards on all travel purchases are also good options for Airbnb and Vrbo purchases.
Just like using a shopping portal before making an online purchase, clicking through one of the airline sites before reserving an Airbnb or Vrbo is easy. Especially if you're renting an expensive home rental or you frequently rent through these sites, your earnings can quickly become significant — which is why it's worth adding this extra step to your vacation rental booking process.