Register now to earn double American miles on flights through September 30
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
The airline industry has been hit hard by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and with many travelers still hesitant to get on a plane, carriers will likely need to offer more than updated cleanliness procedures. Today, American has announced a new, major promotion to help spur new bookings — double miles on all paid flights through September 30, 2020.
Sign-up for the TPG daily newsletter to get points and miles coverage like this delivered to your inbox.
You can find full details on the promotion at this link, but it’s pretty straight-forward. If you register and book your flight by June 30 for travel through Sept. 30, you’ll earn an extra 5x miles for every dollar you spend on the base fare of your ticket — up to 10,000 miles in total (which equates to $2,000 in spending). We peg AAdvantage miles at 1.4 cents apiece in our monthly valuations, so this is like an additional 7% return. If you max out the promotion, the 10,000 miles you’d earn are worth $140.
More importantly, this also comes on the heels of American extending its coronavirus change-fee waiver through June 30. As a result, you can currently make new reservations and avoid change fees if you later need to adjust them — though be aware that a fare difference may apply. The terms of the promotion even includes the following:
“You can make changes to your travel under the original booking (record locator) after June 30, 2020, and remain eligible for this promotion.”
In other words, as long as the original flight is booked by June 30 and you complete any applicable flights by Sept. 30, you’ll still earn the bonus miles — regardless of when you make the change.
Here are the other important details on the double-miles offer:
- You must register before booking travel, so this will not apply to previously-booked reservations.
- The offer doesn’t apply to AAdvantage award tickets.
- You’ll only earn double miles on flights marketed and operated by American and/or American Eagle — so no codeshares.
- The bonus miles don’t count toward AAdvantage elite status, nor do they count toward Million Miler status.
This is the second promotion we’ve seen from American in an effort to spur new reservations, though it’s a big step up from the 500-mile bonus announced last month. It’s yet another incentive to book travel for the summer and early fall, but be sure to register before purchasing your ticket. To do so, log in to your AAdvantage account and navigate to the promotions tab.
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.