Register now to earn double American miles on flights through September 30
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
The airline industry has been hit hard by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and with many travelers still hesitant to get on a plane, carriers will likely need to offer more than updated cleanliness procedures. Today, American has announced a new, major promotion to help spur new bookings — double miles on all paid flights through September 30, 2020.
Sign-up for the TPG daily newsletter to get points and miles coverage like this delivered to your inbox.
You can find full details on the promotion at this link, but it’s pretty straight-forward. If you register and book your flight by June 30 for travel through Sept. 30, you’ll earn an extra 5x miles for every dollar you spend on the base fare of your ticket — up to 10,000 miles in total (which equates to $2,000 in spending). We peg AAdvantage miles at 1.4 cents apiece in our monthly valuations, so this is like an additional 7% return. If you max out the promotion, the 10,000 miles you’d earn are worth $140.
More importantly, this also comes on the heels of American extending its coronavirus change-fee waiver through June 30. As a result, you can currently make new reservations and avoid change fees if you later need to adjust them — though be aware that a fare difference may apply. The terms of the promotion even includes the following:
“You can make changes to your travel under the original booking (record locator) after June 30, 2020, and remain eligible for this promotion.”
In other words, as long as the original flight is booked by June 30 and you complete any applicable flights by Sept. 30, you’ll still earn the bonus miles — regardless of when you make the change.
Here are the other important details on the double-miles offer:
- You must register before booking travel, so this will not apply to previously-booked reservations.
- The offer doesn’t apply to AAdvantage award tickets.
- You’ll only earn double miles on flights marketed and operated by American and/or American Eagle — so no codeshares.
- The bonus miles don’t count toward AAdvantage elite status, nor do they count toward Million Miler status.
This is the second promotion we’ve seen from American in an effort to spur new reservations, though it’s a big step up from the 500-mile bonus announced last month. It’s yet another incentive to book travel for the summer and early fall, but be sure to register before purchasing your ticket. To do so, log in to your AAdvantage account and navigate to the promotions tab.
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees