American Airlines promotion: Earn 500 AAdvantage bonus miles per flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: At TPG, our top priority is providing our readers with the information needed to make educated decisions about travel and rewards-earning strategy. This is not the best time to travel, domestically or internationally, as airlines have cut major parts of their route networks. But we are sharing this information to provide value for future travel once coronavirus concerns have subsided.
Today, May 11, American Airlines launched a new promotion where it will award 500 bonus miles per flight booked by May 18, 2020. Flights set to depart between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2020 are eligible, and you can earn up to 5,000 bonus American miles during this promotion.
Note that this promotion counts round-trip flights as two separate flights, so you’ll earn 1,000 extra miles on round-trip tickets and 500 miles on one-way tickets. All flights must be operated by American Airlines or American Eagle and flights booked with miles or changed after May 18 are not eligible for the bonus.
You can register for this promotion on American’s website through May 18. All miles earned through this promotion are in addition to miles you’d earn by flying.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Should you take advantage of this promotion?
If you’re already planning to book post-coronavirus travel with American Airlines, you should definitely register for this promotion beforehand. TPG values American miles at 1.4 cents per point, so you’ll earn $7 worth of miles per one-way flight and $14 per round-trip flight.
On the other hand, we don’t recommend booking travel now just to earn bonus miles — while you can change American tickets booked by May 31 for free, the airline isn’t offering cash refunds on these tickets. Instead, canceling a ticket will only result in future flight credit.
Keep in mind that holding this flight credit can be risky even if you’re an American loyalist. Like much of the travel industry, American Airlines isn’t in the best financial position right now. It has been forced to ground a good portion of its fleet and request a government bailout in response to the coronavirus-fueled travel downturn, so if the airline was to go belly-up, you could be left with worthless travel credit and no way to get a refund.
Further, we’re still not sure when it will be safe to travel again. If the coronavirus outbreak isn’t contained quickly, you could be stuck with this credit for a long time.
It’s nice to see American offer bonus miles for booking future travel. It’s an interesting way to drum up travel demand and can be rewarding for those preemptively booking future business and holiday travel for the end of the year.
However, we don’t recommend booking travel now solely to earn bonus miles. If earning miles is your goal, check out our complete guide to earning American miles for less risky ways to earn.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees