Disney World Opening New Nature-Themed Resort in 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As evidenced by recent date-based ticket pricing changes to try to even out attendance throughout the year, Disney World is certainly not hurting for visitors. With sure-fire hits such as the opening of Star Wars Land on the near-term horizon, these Mickey Mouse fans need places to lay their ears at night. With that in mind, Disney has just announced a new resort to be located along Bay Lake between Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort.
This new yet-to-be-named resort coming in 2022 will be “nature-inspired” and include 900 hotel rooms, as well as proposed Disney Vacation Club villas. This will be Disney Vacation Club’s (DVC) 16th property, and of course will open opportunities to bring in new Disney Vacation Club owners.
Believe it or not, this is not the only hotel expansion currently underway at Disney World. The president of Walt Disney World Resort, George A. Kalogridis, states, “Walt Disney World is in the midst of our most significant expansion in the last two decades and the combined 1,700 new hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas we are building at four different resorts will create thousands of new construction and permanent jobs and will drive economic opportunity and incremental revenue for Central Florida.”
More Disney Resort Projects Underway
Disney’s Riviera Resort to Open in 2019
Also actively under construction, located across from Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, is Disney’s Riviera Resort. This will be the 15th DVC property with around 300 units when it opens next year. What is especially exciting about this property is that it will connect to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot via the also currently under construction new Disney Skyliner. Taking a gondola to the theme park is likely to be a fun and traffic-free way to start and end your day.
Expansion and Renovations at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort isn’t a new resort, but it is getting a new 15-story and 545-room tower overlooking Lago Dorado, the resort’s centerpiece lake. The updated style of the existing rooms will tie into this new tower. Of course with a new tower comes new amenities such as a brand new rooftop table-service restaurant.
Immersive Luxury Star Wars Hotel Project
Personally, I am most excited about the fourth hotel project going on at Walt Disney World. This fourth project is the immersive hotel experience under development within Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This will be a first-of-its-kind luxury resort where Star Wars fans “depart” together for a multi-day experience with costumes, interactive characters, “space” viewable from your windows and more. While Star Wars Land is set to open late fall 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (and summer 2019 at Disneyland), the immersive resort experience is likely to come a bit later.
Set your own sign-up bonus with the Discover it Miles card. Any rewards you earn in the first year will automatically be matched at the end of the year and you'll earn an unlimited 1.5 miles on all purchases with no annual fee.
- Unlimited Bonus: Discover will match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That's $700 towards travel! The more you earn, the more you get.
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases - with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates. Simply pay for travel purchases like airlines, hotels, rental cars, and more with your Discover it® Miles card.
- Miles Pay You Back. Easily redeem Miles as a statement credit for travel purchases. Or get cash.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- Rates & Fees