I Saved $700 With a Travel Package — Reader Success Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Douglas, who got a major discount on a recent last-minute trip:
Due to a family emergency, my wife and I needed to make last-minute arrangements to get from Atlanta (ATL) to Charlotte (CLT) for two days. Driving was an option, but we preferred to fly if possible. Since we were buying tickets less than 48 hours before departure, Delta was charging over $550 or 46,000 SkyMiles each, while other airlines had similar prices.
Knowing that we would also need a hotel when we arrived, I checked Delta Vacations to see our options, having booked with them in the past. Luckily for us, we found a package including flights and hotel for under $800. The hotel we ended up in was going for $210 per night, and we could have saved even more if we were willing to stay farther away from our family.
Without Delta Vacations, the trip would have cost approximately $1,520 ($1,100 for flights and $420 for the hotel including taxes). Instead, the cash price was just under $790, so it was $700 less because we booked it as a package. Thanks to the Pay with Miles option, it only cost us 78,984 SkyMiles, which we have plenty of thanks to our Delta credit card and The Platinum Card® from American Express. Even better, we’ll still earn MQMs, MQDs and Delta Vacations bonus SkyMiles in addition to being able to take advantage of our status with the airline and hotel.
Vacation packages are a useful trick to have up your sleeve when you’re paying out of pocket for flights, hotels and other big ticket travel expenses. The steepest discounts tend to come when you’re booking at the last minute or flying in a premium cabin, and in some cases booking a package can save you money even if you don’t actually need a hotel or other add-ons. This story is a perfect example, as the package price was lower than what Douglas would have paid for airfare alone. You won’t consistently find deals that good, especially for domestic economy flights, but it’s worth making vacation packages part of your search anytime rates are high and you can’t find award availability.
One caveat is that booking a package may impact how you earn rewards from your trip. You’ll generally still receive airline miles and elite credits, though not at the normal rate, since airlines sometimes classify package flights as special fares with a unique earning structure. That might or might not work out in your favor; the moral is simply to pay attention if you’re banking on rewards from a vacation package to help you qualify for elite status. Unfortunately, you probably won’t earn points or elite credits for packaged hotel stays, which is typical when booking through a third party. It’s also a toss-up as to whether you’ll be able to use your existing elite benefits — some properties will still recognize them, but I recommend verifying ahead of time if you’re counting on any in particular.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Douglas a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to email@example.com; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes, or to contribute to our new award redemption series. If your story is published, we’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure. Due to the volume of submissions, we can’t respond to each story individually, but we’ll be in touch if yours is selected.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured photo by Susanne Neumann / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees