Delta launching new quarantine-free flights to Italy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This piece has been updated with additional information.
Back in December, Delta trialed quarantine-free travel between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) and Aeroporti di Roma Fiumicino (FCO). On Wednesday, the Atlanta-based carrier announced it would be launching quarantine-free flights between New York-JFK and FCO as well as Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP).
The quarantine-free flights from JFK to FCO begin April 1 and will operate thrice-weekly with an increase to 4x weekly in May and then finally daily in June. The MXP flights, which begin April 2, will operate 4x weekly in April and then daily starting May 2. The flights will operate through June 30.
“These COVID-tested, quarantine-free flights provide a real boost to the aviation industry,” said Delta’s Alain Bellemare, E.V.P and President – International. “We are starting to see more global vaccination programs but until they become more widespread, corridor flights like this can help keep our customers and crew safer when they fly.”
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
Currently, all travelers to Italy from non-exempt countries must quarantine for 14 days. And, only essential travelers are permitted to enter the country at this time.
The program includes four testing points for eligible travelers:
- A COVID-19 PCR test, taken up to 72 hours before departure;
- A rapid test administered at the airport before boarding;
- A rapid test on arrival; and
- A rapid test before departure back to the U.S.
Delta says passengers are also required to “provide information prior to entry into the U.S. to support CDC contact-tracing protocols.”
“Carefully designed COVID-19 testing protocols are the best path for resuming international travel safely and without quarantine until vaccinations are widely in place,” said Delta’s President of International and Executive Vice President of Global Sales Steve Sear.
Delta partnered with experts from the Mayo Clinic to review how it could safely implement testing protocols.
The carrier says it sees the quarantine-free flight program as a “clear way forward to support global economic recovery while vaccination efforts against COVID-19 roll out worldwide.”
Thanks to the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine, travel has started to slowly bounce back. March 12 marked a new pandemic-era record for the number of passengers screened by TSA since the onset of the pandemic. And, after a year of burning through as much as $100 million in cash daily, airlines are finally on the verge of a much-awaited goal: actually making money.
“We hope that this will be the first of many other COVID-tested and quarantine-free flights supporting the beginning of the recovery whilst we wait for vaccination campaigns to gain momentum,” said Armando Brunini, CEO of SEA Milan Airports.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees